Thursday, June 7, 2012

Yea For Motown...or not

I can truly blame Dancing With The Stars. David and I were watching an episode over a month ago, and it was Motown night. Smokey Robinson and The Temptations performed and we were loving the music. I grew up with all those oldies. My parents listened to them all the time and I can say I know almost every word to most of those songs. Who doesn't?

My kids, that's who. As an adult, I've never put on a motown or oldies station for them. I don't even listen to the radio anymore. I felt it was my job as a parent to expose my kids to some classic oldies.

Now that we have our iPhones, we have a docking station with speakers in the kitchen that David got me for mother's day. I stream Pandora (internet radio) and whatever genre of music I want will play. It's fabulous. Every night when I cook dinner, I turn on an oldies station.

Last night was no different. I was making homemade sauce and meatballs, so I was in the kitchen longer than normal. The kids were on the island watching me.
Photobucket
We'd heard lots of great songs. Earth Angel. Oh, Donna. Unchained Melody. I thought that my kids were becoming more well rounded by the minute exposed to this music.

I was stirring my sauce as Emily came walking through the kitchen. She was singing an oldie! In her lowest voice she sang, "let's get it on..."

Tonight, we are finding the Broadway station.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That little trio are indeed the best. When will they start performing "live"? I can hardly wait to see them and what they are up to.It really won't be that long...
When we were that age Mom and Dad used to line us up to perform for their guests. Whoever it might be got treated to the Kelley rendition of something... more like songs from the 40's than "motown" though.Even David and Alisa used to perform one way or the other when all the family got together for the holidays. Usually they were more like clown or acrobatic acts though ,I believe.☼
Love,
G