Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Piano

Last summer, Emily took piano lessons. When school started, she didn't want to continue. David and I struggled with letting her quit. I think every adult wishes they had learned how to play an instrument when they were younger. Should we force her to keep playing or let her make her own decisions? We let her decide.

She quit.

Her good friend, Alanah, kept playing the piano through the school year. Emily was at her house for a sleepover a few weeks ago. Alanah was playing the piano and Emily decided she wanted to take lessons again. Jealousy? Maybe, but whatever works.

Emily had her first piano lesson again last week. She remembered quite a bit. Her Grampie and Grammie are very supportive of her playing, so we made videos for them.


I don't know if she'll stick with it or if she'll be the summer school piano kid for the next 10 years. Either way, I feel that she'll learn something and that's worth it.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I agree, it's always worth it.

Sarah had several years of lessons from the wonderful Mrs. Wolters. The beginnings are mostly finger exercises and not so fun, but getting into the music was fun, but not fun enough for her to want to continue. Hey, I'm just thrilled she's going to continue in Band, with her flute, all of High School. ;)

I too enjoyed the videos.
Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

Thank you and very much appreciated. ☺ I'm sure she will continue to progress and be a star as she usually is with most every thing she attempts. Way to go Em. ☼
Love,
G.