Thursday, June 24, 2010

Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader?

When it comes to geography, I would have to say that no I'm not smarter than a fifth grader. In fourth grade, I had to memorize where every state was and it's capital. The test was a blank map and we had to fill the entire thing in. I got 100%. Today, I'd probably get 50%. As for the rest of the world, I'm pretty clueless. When the geography category comes up on Jeopardy, I know to just shut my mouth because I will only embarrass myself.

Since I am doing some school work everyday with the kids, I decided to set up a better environment. Truth be told, I love the kids' Ikea stools and table but they are not designed for doing work. The table wobbles and they balance on one leg of the stool. It was making Mrs. G very angry. So, I pulled in their table from outside because it's too warm to be sitting out there anyways.

We put push pins where we live and where the grandparents live. And I tried to explain how the earth is round, but if we flatten it out we get the world map. I don't think they get that concept yet, but that's okay.

When they are older, I hope they will be able to answer at least one question right in the geography section of Jeopardy.

Even if it's the Junior version.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gina, I love your little classroom set up. I hope that Mrs. G. manages to get some good responses out of her students. I love your idea to foster the kids map skills. At least learning some of the states and who lives there is an interesting concept.This really is the best time to do that kind of stuff when their little brains are growing by leaps and bounds each day. Sometimes we underestimate what little guys are capable of learning. Ben is in his prime learning years as exhibited by his amazing ability to "read" a whole book of 29 pages( or whatever). It would be interesting to make flash cards out of some of the vocabulary in that book and see if he recognizes the words without the confines of the printed page. ( with all its illustrations)
Keep up the good work. The rewards will be great!.
Love,
G