Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Perspective

Yesterday when David got home from work, he was not in a great mood. I had already told him that Roxie dug under the fence and both dogs were waiting for me in the front yard when I got home from running errands. What this meant for him was that he had to redo the entire gate area when he got home from work. A lot of picking and digging isn't really what he had in mind after a long day of work.

I was bringing the recycle bin to the curb as he pulled in the driveway. I noticed this big heap sitting by the front door. It's the bottom portion of our screen for the front door. To see what the door used to look like go here. It's now missing the bottom screen which pretty much makes it unusable. We might as well just hang a sign saying "bugs welcome".

We won't use the door for several months and it probably won't be more than $100 to fix. But, it was enough to make David pretty angry and myself as well.

We sat down for dinner. I could tell David was drained. On top of the dog issues, he had to drive to Flagstaff for work. It's 90 minutes each way. It had been a long day. I started telling him that I had spoken to one of my dear friends on the phone that day. We are both stay at home Moms and try to catch up once a month.

My friend had told me that her Dad had been diagnosed with lung cancer...again. He's pretty much been given a short amount of time left to live. On top of that, her husband has gotten deployment papers for Iraq. He's supposed to leave in March for 14 months. He is going to try to get out of it, but who knows what will happen.

As I was telling David this information, I just started crying. David got teary eyed as well.

We get so wrapped up in our daily lives that we truly forget that we really have nothing to worry about. Sure, having to replace our screen sucks, but it's minuscule compared to what's going on for other people, for our friends.

Why does it take hearing news like this to make me appreciate my life more?

Why can't I realize how fortunate I am every single day?

It's the selfishness that lies within all of us I suppose.

I often say Emily creates drama in her life because she has none.
I guess I'm guilty of that as well.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Good post.

We all do this. As I write this, I know of two dear old friends - both only in their 50's, one with brain cancer who wasn't even expected to live this long and the other with inoperable lung cancer who is just hanging on in the last days of her life. Her family has kept in touch of her latest conditions via email and it's just been heartbreaking to read their raw feelings on paper as they strive to deal with the impending loss of their Mom, Wife, Grandmother.

Still - I get depressed over my own things which are not always at the same caliber of other people's things, but none-the-less important to me, and in turn to God. I know that we all have our troubles in many different ways and I don't think that any of us should consider a rank scale for the depth of our miseries. True some things are not "life or death" but all things, even the small things, can weigh on our minds at times.

I hope that everything works out with the door and the dogs. Nothing is too small or insignificant to bring before God in prayer. I truly do believe that with all of my heart.