Friday, January 16, 2009

Holy Moldy!

I need help! I know I could google it and find 100 bazillion answers, but I rather get real experience of what works from people I know.

I'm a desert rat. Born and raised in 110 degree summers. I don't know a thing about mold!

This is what I found around my bathroom windows today...





Luckily, it's not in every window. I did find a pattern that it's in most windows that face East. I'm guessing it's something to do with dew. Ha! Upon further investigating I found it in the kids rooms, our bedroom and the bathrooms that have showers. We use humidifiers in all of our rooms. So, it's a condensation thing?

What I need to know is...

#1 How do I get rid of it? Bleach?

#2 How do I prevent it from coming back? Do I need to wipe all my East windows every morning? Or just not take a shower or bath during the winter? Ha!

I'm asking any of my east coast/midwest friends and family for help and advice.
And hey, with all this cold, you better go check your windows!

4 comments:

Amy said...

G- there's a big difference between mold and mildew. That looks like mildew. Just get some Lysol mold & mildew cleaner, and it should come right off. We have it all over our house and it takes constant maintenance. I fear for what's behind the walls that I cannot see!

Linda said...

This hasn't happened in our current home, but it happened in the last house we lived in. I did exactly as Amy said - cleaned it off. It would come back with moisture, but I'd just clean it off and we were fine.

Before we bought our new dishwasher the old one leaked many times, in behind the cabinets. I can only imagine what's growing back there now. But I don't plan to remove cabinets, so I'll just go on faith like I always do. :)

Anonymous said...

Make up a spray bottle of bleach and water and spray it after every shower and it iwll be fine..It works I do it too! Auntie Barb
p.s. sounds like you need to vent some of that moisture in your bathrooms.

Christine said...

Hey I had that same problem.It happened about 6 months after moving in. We just built a house (well 2 years ago). The screens were not put in right and water would back up and create mildew. We fixed the screens and added a dehumidifier to the basement. Granted you probably don't have as much humidity as we do in Ohio and no basement. But maybe check your screens.