Thursday, January 15, 2009

It's About Time

Emily first learned to pedal before she was 2 1/2. We let her practice riding her tricycle inside the house. She came riding into the kitchen one day yelling, "My feet! My feet!" She's been a riding fool ever since.

I figured Ben would learn earlier than she did. I thought a boy would be quicker to learn how to pedal. Plus, the muscles in his legs makes me jealous. Santa almost brought them bikes last year for Christmas. I made sure I informed Santa that I did not want to be outside in 20 degree temperatures teaching the kids how to ride bikes. So, Santa left the bikes for the Easter Bunny to bring. Ben has had his bike for 9 months and still hadn't learned to pedal. Sometimes, Emily would ride her bike and Ben would walk almost the entire mile when we took a walk. He obviously wasn't lazy, he just preferred to keep both feet on the ground.

I needed to get the kids out of the house today to see what the dogs would do in the backyard. I think this was David's fifth attempt at setting up a barrier so Roxie wouldn't get out under the gate.

I thought it was a beautiful day for a bike ride.

And there was Ben...he didn't say it, but I could tell he was thinking, "My feet! My feet!"










He finally got it. I had to help him up the little hills and around mailboxes, but it's a start.

Needless to say, when we got home, Roxie was digging another hole to China (or our front yard). David is picking up cinder blocks on the way home.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Where are all the trees?

Linda said...

That's great!

As for the next part without the training wheels, I have to say that it took Sarah much longer than some kids. I think she was around 6 or 7 years old when she learned to ride without the training wheels. Each kid just learns things differently. She didn't swim until that age either.

It's nice that you have good weather to ride bikes right now. None of that for us, though I always still see people riding bikes on campus even in the winter, and I always think they're nuts. Bikes on Ice - YIkes!

Anonymous said...

Yea, Ben!