Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Photographer In The Making

I can't remember when I held a camera for the first time and took a photo. I imagine I was probably a teenager. Back in those days, my parents would never let me touch the camera in fear of wasting precious 35 MM film. I can imagine how mad my Dad and Mom would've been if they got a roll of film processed for $5 only to find that I used half the roll to take pictures of the TV and my bedroom. I probably would've gotten grounded if they had ordered doubles! Times have obviously changed. It is not unusual for Emily to find the camera weekly and start taking pictures. She knows how to turn it on and she goes to town. We don't want her to play with the camera in case she breaks it. Case in point when she took 8 photos of the toilet bowl. Imagine if she would've dropped it in. I sometimes don't even know she has it until I see what I think is lighting and I realize it's the flash. She will climb on chairs and the desk to find the camera. She simply loves to take pictures. She one time racked up 132 photos before I knew what she was doing. I had to delete them one by one as I had 3 pictures on there that I wanted to keep. I was angry that time. No matter how many times we take it away or how many times we tell her no, she seems to pursue her passion for photography. She actually takes decent ones sometimes. I imagine when our current camera is extremely outdated in a few years, we will give her that one and buy ourselves a new one. In the meantime, she will have to sneak the camera and take her pictures. Here are a few from her latest round.





She even let Ben in on the action after he started crying (see pic above).

3 comments:

Linda said...

Hooray, a new story! :-)
I love this and laughed out loud. Her photos are cute and it's great that she enjoys this. It's funny because when I was sorting through the directories last night looking for the photos for my latest post, I saw all of the photos that Sarah took while on that vacation. She had this thing for taking photos of her own shadow in different locations.
Fun times.

Anonymous said...

Ooh! That's my girl.If I had realized before the Fairietopia buying spree I could have worked on a camera for the little photographer wanna be... Oh well another time.In the meantime teach her some tricks of the trade. :)
Love,
G

Anonymous said...

I hope the photographer in her continues, maybe one day her stuff will be recognised for what it is "a child's eye view of the world"Of course we all can take photos of friends and family even the flowers etc that we think are wonderful, but imagine a moment in time when you saw everything from 3 ft and what a revelation that all must be when we grow up to 4,5or 6 ft..Keep and perserve for posterity sake..Emily has at least the imagination to look at different perspectives and you can see what she sees every day..children have a unique look on the world that we once had and have now forgotten..Might make a good childrens book some day... I remember growing up in house where a big boulder took over the side yard of our property and I thought to climb that would surely be like climbing Mount Everest..Today I realize that big rock was really very small and I wonder how I was so captivate by it, but then I was only a little peefart at the time and everything to me seemed gigantic..anyway just a thought for Em..keep up the good work..Love to you all..Auntie Barb