David's Grammie passed away on Tuesday at the age of 90, a few months short of her 91st birthday. She had Alzheimer's for several years and suffered a stroke on Monday. I had met her twice. Her memory was already starting to go when I saw her the first time in Quebec in 2004 before Emily was born. She knew who David was, but she needed reminding about other things. Such as, David and Alisa lived with her when they went to college. The second time I saw her, Emily was almost a year old and we all went to Nova Scotia as Grammie was living with Auntie Barb. She didn't really remember David much. Her health was still pretty good at the time which just makes everything that much harder. You could tell she would struggle in her mind to try to recall something. When we left after this visit, David knew that he wouldn't see his Gram again. David sent me an e-mail yesterday and I loved what he wrote about her. Since he knew her and I really didn't, I thought I would include his words:As I said yesterday, she did not always nurture with words and was not very "touchy feely", but she was an upstanding individual, very "straight laced", high morals, of humble means and wants, responsible in every way, was quiet and therefore never let her mouth and temper get the better of her, and was very giving and caring in her way. She one time told me that the worst thing she remembered doing to another, was in grade school, she told a kid who was pestering her that she was going to "throw a bean" at him. She laughed about that story when she told it to me, but to this day, I really believe her. It was not in her character to be mean; she was never mean. I know she made no enemies in her life. She surely made an impact on my life, giving me a glimpse into the past, and what I imagine people were like who lived in times when my grandmother was in her prime. She was not at all anything like the "crop" of people we so often meet nowadays. I will miss her strength of character, her integrity and moral uprightness. What she took with her when she died is exactly what the world needs more of. I believe she lead a good life, lacked nothing, and died with no regrets for things left undone. Of course, her mind had left her some years ago, but I believe she would have agreed that there was nothing more she would have wanted to accomplish. Hers was a complete life.
I know I will see her again in my Lord, God's presence...there will be no tears, no unhappy times, no suffering, no decrease or dimishment of person or life. Only abundant life- life everlasting.
We love you Grammie.
4 comments:
This is the most beautiful tribute!! Thank you so much for sharing. My heart goes out to all of the family.
Love,
Aunt Linda
David
I have always said you have a way with words...and stands so tru yet again when you spoke of your grandmother...I am sire she was just tickled knowing how you spoke of her. I am so sorry for your loss of you grandmother...I sure know the emotions after losing both of mine in the last few years....There is nothing as special as a love from a grandma....Please know my thoughts are with you and hope that we will talk sometime soon!
Love
Michele
Gina and David,
My heart goes out to you both. I am so sorry to here about David's grandma. I have lost all of my grandparents in that last five years and I know how difficult it can be. God Bless and take care.
Diana
Thank you Gina and David for such a touching tribute to Mum.She will always be remembered much the way you remember her.Your words have a real ring of truth to them..I know I will miss her and she did still retain her mind right to the end of her time, she had strength and determination right up to the end, what the disease did rob her of however was the knowledge that those close to her were her family and of course the recent past events. But I do want you to know that they referred to her as the " Sherman Tank" at her home and that was in the most loving way, She never let them push her around unless she was in her wheelchair:) she always spoke her mind and could abide no foolishness or what she called " shillyshallyiness" I think she stayed true to character right to the end ..and although she mostly didn't realize that nice person coming to see her all the time and playing cards with her was"her Barbara", I was nevertheless someone she felt loved her. I too will always keep her in my heart..Love to you all Auntie Barb
Post a Comment