Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Lesson Learned


My cousin, Denise, is in Aruba for a few days with her Mom for a wedding. Lucky girls. On Friday, I watched both of Denise's kids. Stella came over in the morning while Jude was in school. I realized that I haven't babysat in years. The kids quickly started playing and the house looked like a tornado hit in a matter of minutes. Ben was a little bummed about Jude not being there. The girls were playing with dolls and Ben came walking down the hallway sulking. I asked him what was wrong and he replied, "I miss Jude so much." It was adorable. He felt a little left out with all the dress up, dolls and barbie stuff going on.

The first lesson that I learned is that what I consider child proofed for my kids does not apply to other children. I walked in Emily's room and Stella was slathering Emily's lotion into her hair. I'm talking like 5 or 6 pumps of lotion. My kids know not to mess with it. Stella thought it was just something else to play with. Then, about 20 minutes later, the girls are in my bedroom and Stella found some more lotion. She's rubbing it on her belly and is a complete mess. She's too funny. The girl likes lotion. Okay, so next time I will go through the house and put away any potential disasters beforehand.

My Mom decided to come up and stay with us for a week or so. She said she'd be here in time for me to go get Jude from school. The original plan was that I would just take Ben and my Mom would watch the girls. Of course, they all wanted to come. So, we all pile in the mini-van. I didn't bother with shoes for the kids as I was just planning on hoping out to get Jude and leaving the kids and my Mom in the car. Lesson #2...always bring shoes! On our way home, we went to turn into our housing development. There is only one rode in and the same rode out. Well, there is an accident. There were probably a dozen police, ambulance and fire trucks that came. The road was closed. Now what? The kids have no shoes. We ended up going to K-mart and buying flip flops and walking around there for an hour. Luckily it opened up by the time we got back. It's been known to be closed for up to 4 hours when there is an accident.

Lessons learned...

No comments: