The hardest thing about going to bed every night is knowing that I will be up again in less than 3 hours. Since I was uncomfortable for a few months before Noah was born, I haven't slept more than 5 hours at one time in almost 5 months. It's starting to make me a little crazy.
Noah will be on what is called an "adjusted age" for a year. Meaning, he was 9 weeks early, so we need to subtract that amount of time from his age to find his adjusted age. Noah is 12 weeks old, minus the 9 weeks, so he should be doing what a 3 week old is doing. Basically, nothing. Well, eating, crying, pooping. That's about it. It also means that everything is going to be prolonged by 2 months. He probably won't sit up until 8 months, when most babies do this by 6 months, etc.
We hit our first milestone last night. I was up for the 1 A.M. feed. I was tired and bored watching Dancing With The Stars (if you've seen one quickstep, you've seen them all). I was having bad menstrual cramps, Noah had spit up all over me, I was thinking this was going to be a long feed. When, I went to put the bottle back in his mouth, I went for his nose by accident. I laughed and said something about how Mommy is silly. And he smiled! A real smile! We've gotten a one sided grin a few times, but I'm never really sure it's a smile or just a movement. Last night, I was sure. It was adorable. Big open mouth full of gums. And as I coaxed him for more, he obliged with a few more grins for his silly Mommy.
It was just what a needed to get me through the night.
Now, if I could only get a nanny.
4 comments:
Oh, Gina, you are so funny and can always find the humor in any situation. Your blogs are a good reminder of why it's so great to be a mother! Hope you always take such delight in the little things your children do to brighten the day (and sometimes the night)!
Kathi
I can hardly wait to see one of those wide smiles! Hopefully I'll be able to coax one or two out of him while I'm there, or at least be able to see one when you get it!
I'm sure they'll become more frequent as time goes by. Let's hope he doesn't have Ben's phobia about giving a big old cheesy grin from time to time, especially when requested by the "photo mama"!
Love,
G.
You might be pleasantly surprised by the whole adjusted age thing. I know all babies develop at their own pace, but the "older" Brayden gets the faster he is closing that gap. He was 6 months yesterday and although he can't confidently sit unassisted he doesn't do that bad. And just in this last week or so out of no where it seems he developed arm strength.
Anyway the smiling was something I had looked forward to since day 1 so I know the feeling!
Very sweet! I don't miss those nights, but I miss the smiles sometimes when confronting a teenager's scowl.
Post a Comment