When I got my Ipod 6 months ago, I downloaded some of the kids favorites. We were all thrilled to listen to Jack Johnson sing his hits from Curious George and Sarah McLachlan sign Ordinary Miracle from Charlotte's Web. I actually enjoyed those songs. We also have some favorites that I've sung to them since they were babies, like Kenny Loggins Danny Song. I remember when Emily actually heard it sung for real, meaning in tune. She was all excited saying, "Mommy, it's my song!" She must have thought it was something I made up. Trust me, if I could write such lovely lyrics, I would not be driving a mini-van to Walmart right now!
I made the mistake of downloading the Lion King soundtrack. Now, don't get me wrong, it's nice the first few times. But when I start using the phrase "Hakuna Matata" in an adult conversation, it's time for it to go. Before I threw my IPod out the window, I decided the kids need to expand their musical interests.
I started playing my favorites.
Some music goes over well and some doesn't. The other day, Ben and I were driving to get Emily from preschool. I was flipping through deciding on what I was in the mood for. I spotted Elvis. Now, I always believe you are either an Elvis person or a Beatles person. I like both, but I prefer the Beatles. If I were stuck on a island and HAD to listen to one of them over and over, I would pick the Beatles in a heartbeat. I have one Elvis song on my IPod as my Dad downloaded it when he was at our house. Falling In Love With You is a pretty decent Elvis song, so I put it on. This is how it went down.
Elvis: "Wise men say..."
Ben: "Turn it off."
Elvis: "Only fools rush in..."
Ben: "Turn it off!"
Elvis: "But I can't help..."
Ben: "TURN IT OFF!!!"
Clearly not an Elvis fan.
It's fun to see which songs they like. They are fans of John Mayer and they love the I Am Sam soundtrack which is all Beatles tunes by different artists. Today's favorite which was played 4 times before we made it home was Across The Universe by the Beatles. Emily picks up lyrics fast and I was smiling to myself when by the second go round I could hear her signing, "Nothing's gonna change my world."
I know in a few short years, I won't have much say in their musical interests. For now, I will enjoy influencing them.
4 comments:
Love the look to the page and love this post. So funny and true (enjoy it while it lasts). Sarah has had her own distinct musical tastes for a long time. Ever since she was around the age of your kids, she's spent her evenings in her room, listening to music, dancing and singing. You'd think that she's trying out for the latest musical, but that's just Sarah being Sarah. Now, she downloads her own music and listens to such a variety. She still likes Christian Rock and just went to a Superchick concert last weekend. But she also likes a lot of stuff that I really can't stand. But it's wonderful to experiment and develop our own taste in music, isn't it? We point them in the direction that we like and they make it their own. Sarah still likes some of our influence as well - and yes, even The Beatles. :-)
This was a funny post. I'm not a big Elvis fan either. I'd be right there with him "Turn it off!" And you've definitely been busy. I need to get the organizing bug again. You should have talked to Ryan about insurance before driving to the valley! And I saw your post on my SIL blog. That was so sweet. Thank you! We'll be out walking/freezing soon!
First of all, I first went to your blog an hour ago, and then got side tracked to the cutest blog site...FUN! I will have a new look shortly (-:
Second, I HATE Elvis. I'm a Beatles fan all the way. My kids have finally out grown the baby stuff. They love anything you hear at a ballgame...YMCA, Sweet Caroline, We will we will rock you! And of course KidzBop and the High School Musical soundtracks. And they both know all the word's to Madonna's entire Confessions from a Dance Floor album (my fault-I love it!)
I always knew you kids were smart. Now, we do we start with the dmb?
Post a Comment