Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Jesus Gets A New Crib

This is Jesus' new sweet crib.

We were shopping at Walmart last weekend and looking at all the Christmas stuff. Emily came across the nativity scenes. She HAD to have one.

She didn't like the cheap looking wisemen in one set. Baby Jesus was rather odd looking in another set. She liked this set in particular that resembled the figurines from Precious Moments. Fine. But, it didn't come with a manager. We decided to make one.

We got a box at Sams Club (we have one now) and we covered it with with paper shopping bags. The kids went to town painting it. I doubt the original manger where Jesus was born had glitter glue all over the roof, but it certainly adds some flare! Then we got a separate piece of cardboard from the lid of a shoebox. We put glue all over it and went outside to find grass, leaves and sticks.





Emily loves it and sets the people up 100 different ways. She'll even put Jesus on the roof. Somehow, I don't think Jesus would mind.

3 comments:

Linda said...

What a blessing it is to teach our little ones about the Lord! And a manger scene is the perfect teaching tool. I remember having various ones out over the years and Sarah playing with them when she was little. I love the manger they made! And, once again it's funny that you wrote about making a stable/manger, as this is the next project that Jim is going to be "helping" me with (which means -he's going to be making it). I want to recreate a similar type of manager like the one that my Dad made all those many years ago and it will be the perfect backdrop for our large plastic nativity scene outside. They're not exactly the type of figures that I would have chosen, but my Dad gave me the set as it used to be theirs. The newly-constructed manager will vastly improve the view.

Lindsay said...

How fun! I love that you had the kids create a part of it!!!!! They love it all the more I am sure! I used to love precious moments! They are so sweet! So are you guys decorating for Christmas early this year? I think we are....maybe Thanksgiving day. We also bought a nativity scene this year. I have never had one since moving out of my parents house and always wanted one. Last year I drooled and drooled over the Costco one and finally decided to buy it but when I went back they were sold out!!! So when I saw it this year I jumped on it! I can't wait to put it up!!!! I love Christmas!
So GREAT to chat with you!!! I miss you bunches!!!!

Sarah said...

This is so sweet. I am excited to get out the nativity and all the Christmas decorations.