Sunday, November 23, 2008

My Sweetest Ride

We went to my Dad's on Saturday in Phoenix for an early Thanksgiving celebration. David's Mom came into town, so we picked her up at the airport and headed to my Dad's. This was our first trip down since we got the mini-van. Previous trips were in my Pathfinder. Gwynne (David's Mom) would sit in the front with David. I'd get sandwiched between the 2 carseats in the backseat while the dog in the trunk area panted on my head. It was never a pleasant ride. For the first time, I knew what it meant to have my knees and back hurt after sitting for 2 hours.

We go to my Dad's for Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve. The ride home has always been listening to the over tired kids scream louder than the movie that is playing. David and I can't talk or listen to music. I actually brought pajamas one time thinking they would fall asleep and I could just scoop up their sleeping angel bodies from the car and lay them peacefully in bed. What was I smoking? Their screaming, I'm screaming. The only thing I bring now is a bottle of Excedrin.

We all load up for our trek home. The kids want to watch a movie. Fine, maybe they will zone out and be quiet. Emily wants anything with a princess and Ben wants anything with an action hero. This is always the problem with one boy and one girl. We watched The Incredibles on the way to Phoenix and the trip home they agreed upon Monsters Inc. David and Gwynne are in the front. Emily and Ben are in the next row. I'm in the third row of seats way in the back with the dog. Roxie does not settle down in the car and pants the entire way. She probably fears she is headed back to the pound. In any case, David asked if I wanted the Ipod and headphones as listening to panting for 2 hours makes me anxious.

We left my Dad's. I'm prepared for the worst. It never came. The kids didn't make a peep. Emily was asleep in 10 minutes and Ben shortly after that. David unplugged the movie. I reclined my seat, put my feet up on the igloo, listened to music and played vortex and solitaire on my Ipod. We have finally gotten to that happy place with our kids. It was the best 2 hours of my life.

But next time, I'm bringing their pajamas...and mine!

2 comments:

Linda said...

I'm glad you had a great day and a wonderful ride home!!! That time does indeed come along and a van helps tremendously. We only have smaller cars and still wedge in with my parents when we travel to Northern Illinois, which we'll be doing in December and it's a 2 1/2 hour drive. Not that pleasant now that Sarah is getting bigger and she, my Mom and I in the back seat don't have much room, considering Dad and Jim need their seats pushed far back for leg room. But somehow we make do. We have rented a van on longer trips and it's always wonderful.

Lindsay said...

That is huge! With rides like that you will be able to do them more often!! :) I am thinking selfishly here! :) So glad you could relax, the kids were comfy, and the ride was sweet to the ears, mind, and heart!!!!!