Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Roxie Houdini

We have an escape artist. We hadn't left Roxie alone since we got her Monday afternoon. I had to take Emily to school today. I put Roxie outside figuring she'd be fine. She was an outdoor dog after all or so the paperwork stated. I was gone 40 minutes total. I pulled up our driveway and there she is sitting by our front door!What!?! Our gate for our yard does have an 8 inch gap on one side that goes down to about 2 inches on the other side. It has to stay this way for drainage or so they told us. I wasn't worried about the gap because we stapled chicken wire over it to keep the bunnies out of our garden. It wasn't super strong chicken wire. We were just trying to keep out a 1 pound bunny. Apparently, it doesn't take a dog of 71 pounds long to go right through that. She dug a tiny bit, but must have realized she could get through without the digging. Oh brother. At least she didn't run away. We also had one of Forest's old collars on her because it had our phone numbers on it. I figured it was a good idea until we got her an ID tag. I didn't realize how good of idea that was until now.

I left her inside when I went to pick Emily up from school. She seemed to do just fine. I think she got on the sofa though because I strategically placed a blanket and it was disturbed. She's tried to get on the sofa a few times while we were at home. I guess that was allowed at her old house. We'll have to try to break that or I'll just have to put down a blanket when we leave and so be it. If that's the worst thing I have to complain about, I'm pretty lucky.

3 comments:

Linda said...

I'm enjoying the stories of Roxie. She was very loyal already to stay put on the front porch (or to at least be waiting there for you when you arrived home). As for the couch issue, it's funny because we were the opposite with our cats (I wrote about that in the Winston story). They wouldn't jump on the couch and we were like "Come on up! What's wrong?" LOL :-)

Anonymous said...

too funny!

Amy said...

I've heard if you put those pokey bath mats on your couch when you're gone, they won't jump up...they don't like how it feels on their feet. We gave our dog the futon, which she loves, and gets annoyed if anyone else tries to sit there!