Wednesday, October 1, 2008

30 Minute Dash


It happens everyday without fail. I know it's going to happen yet I'm always taken by surprise. I look up at the clock and it's 4:30. David is going to be home within the hour. The house is a disaster. The morning dishes are still in the sink. The dishwasher is yet to be unloaded. I run around for 30 minutes doing all the things that I should have been doing all day. I call it the 30 minute dash. I do it so that David doesn't come home to popcorn broken into a million pieces on the carpet and an overflowing sink of dirty dishes. Would he truly care? I doubt it, but I do. I want to give him the perception that I have everything under control and that I can run this ship with my eyes closed.

I've been caught. Once or twice, David has come home unexpectedly early. He worked through his lunch, so he thought he'd surprise us. Oh, he surprised me alright. I got caught red handed loading his oatmeal bowl from breakfast into the dishwasher at 4:45.

I decided to start delegating some of this responsibility on my innocent children, mainly Emily as Ben is not quite helpful yet. After all, they are the ones who make the mess. I finally decided to see if Emily could hold the vacuum. She's 40 pounds. It's only 20. She's got to be able to control it. She was brilliant and managed to suck up all the popcorn while I picked up the tornado of toys throughout the house. Heck, she even thought it was fun.


Now, we are on to dishes. Emily loves to help. I let her unload the dishwasher. Well, in the time it takes her to do the silverware, I have everything else done. Yes, she mixes up the big and little spoons. Yes she stopped to hang spoons from her nose. But, it was one less thing that I had to do. I must admit, she was pretty good at the spoon thing. I have no idea who taught that to her. If it was you, please fess up. I'm not mad, just curious. It also made for a good 5 spoons that went right back into the dishwasher.




With all this help. I may have to rename it the 20 minute dash!

This is what Ben did while we cleaned up. Ah, to be two!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gina,
Now I know the truth... You've disclosed it all. I am still laughing at the spoon on the nose trick. I asked Enrique , he pleads innocent. Never even saw her try it once. I supect her dad might know how to do it though. Please remember to send me those pics at work as I can't copy them here at home.
I promise not to engage you on Scrabble network just before it's time for Daddy to get home from work, cause now I know you have a schedule!
Love,
G.

Linda said...

This is so funny, and so great! I'm impressed that Emily helps so much - if only Sarah would do that half as much. She used to think it was fun, but then she found out that it's really work. :-)
P.S. I always love your stories and photos.

Anonymous said...

Ah, you gotta love child labor. Send her to my house!

Amy said...

See, I don't want Andy thinking I have it under control, I want him to think that staying home is really hard work. So I leave the house trashed, and sometimes, when I hear him coming, I log out of facebook real fast and run to the laundry room (which is always piled high) and act like I've been doing laundry for the last 10 hours!

Anonymous said...

Gina, this one made me laugh so hard, you are a bit of a comedian after all.But really what could you possibly do with all the popcorn.I agree with child labour simply because once they catch on that it is really work not play they quickly lose all interest in helping..I think Amy has the right idea, don't ever make it look so easy to be home all day with 2 kids that tag team you to death on a daily basis.Remember you also have a life and not always the kids come first..Take it easy..Love Auntie Barb