Yes, she looks a lot like Forest. Did you know that black dogs are usually the last to be adopted? And big dogs are the last to be adopted? If your big and black, your at the bottom of the barrel.
Anyway, it turns out the growth is either a fatty tumor or a cyst. Either way, they will remove it on Nov. 3 for us. I got the news at 10:45, got the kids ready and went to go free her from the prison she has been in for the last 6 weeks. I wanted David to come to, but work wouldn't permit and the shelter closes at 5:00.
I was shocked to see around 5 new dogs since yesterday! Good gravy that's a lot. One was a male black lab and I came close to getting him too. I thought I should at least have David with me to help make that decision. So, we just got Roxie. She was a total love in the car and sat behind me, keeping her head just off my right arm. I looked at her with the cool breeze slightly blowing her ears and told her that we will give her the best life she has ever had. I think she understood. I would reach to my side and give her some love. Each time I stopped, she'd take her head and nudge my arm back over her for more love. I couldn't help but laugh. I felt like I was driving a getaway car and I just escaped with a treasure for $50! She was half price due to her age.
I realized last night that we've taken maybe 5 walks since Forest died. Yes, it was summer so it was warm and yes, the grasshoppers are insane. Excuses aside, we need a dog to get us up and out every night. It's one of our family traditions and one that I've missed for the past 2 months. We get out. We talk. We don't have any distractions. It's nice family time and I'll be smiling tonight when we start our tradition back up. I'll even brave the grasshoppers.
On the way home, I explained that her name was going to be Roxie out of respect for Aunt Rosie. Emily wanted to name her Cinderella. I said that could be her middle name. So, this is Roxie Cinderella.
We took her for a little walk before bringing her inside. I let her in the backyard and she went running for the grass. She rolled over and over and over. She obviously likes grass. The shelter was all dirt and rocks, so she hasn't felt grass in awhile. She looked so happy. I was happy.
When she laid down inside I noticed that she lays with her back paws under and behind her. She almost looks like a seal.
I know we are going to have a few food issues. She took a rice cake from Ben's hands and she isn't very gentle when getting or stealing treats. Forest would just gently lick it out of our hand. She goes for it. We'll have to work on that. She also tried to jump on our sofa. I quickly stopped that. Right now, she is curled up by my feet sleeping and hopefully dreaming about her new life.
4 comments:
She's so sweet!!! I wrote a comment on your facebook as well that she reminds me of my beloved "Fizzer" who was a black lab mix. It's interesting that black dogs are chosen last - I'm the opposite - I LOVE Black Labs and I would have chosen her immediately as well. I can't wait to read more stories of your new life together. Congratulations!!!
Love her!!
We've have our yellow lab since she was 8 weeks...they are CRAZY at that age! I'll take an old porch lounger any day!
Oh I am so excited for you!!!! What fun! She seems like such a great find! I think she must be meant for you guys! :) I am so happy for all of you to have this new fun loving dog in your lives. May you enjoy many walks, get and give much love, and have a little someone following you as you move room to room. ;)
We have been tempted to go to the shelter here and get a bigger dog. But then along came the one in my tummy. ;) Someday we look forward to adopting/saving a dog!
Oh I am so happy to see that Roxie has arrived! I know she will have a great time with you guys. I was worried this morning when I tried to check on your link from the Pet Finders and found she was gone. I sent an email and David quickly reponded that she was safe in your home. congratulations. I hope it all works out well.I'll see you all ion a month or less.
love,
Grammie
Post a Comment