The crazy thing is that pumpkins grow amazingly well in Arizona. Case in point, the pumpkins that I didn't even plant. Our compost pile didn't break down thoroughly before we started our garden. We have 3 pumpkins that are decorating the inside of the house right now and several more still growing on the vine.
I put some plastic under this pumpkin because the rocks blemish the skin. We weren't anticipating sprawling pumpkin vines or we would have raked the rocks away.
When we were at the pumpkin patch, I asked if they grew the pumpkins there. It is an operating plant nursery during the rest of the year. They said they had them shipped in, probably from back East. Why? I don't know. I guess if we want a pumpkin off the vine, we will have to go in our own backyard.
Does anybody know how to get the stickers off the stem? The Pumpkin Fairy smooths out the stems for us. The ones off the vine will prick ya! I've had one inside for a month and it still has stickers. I'm thinking a little sandpaper? Somebody has to know what to do. This city slicker needs help!
2 comments:
I love your sense of humor and enjoyed this second post. I don't know about the stickers on the stem - wouldn't that just be like tampering with nature, kind of like growing pumpkins in the desert, lol. Jim and Sarah know that I MUST have a pumpkin with a curly-cue stem - the type where there's still part of the dried vine left on it. I get upset if the stem or the curly cue breaks off before Halloween! To me, it adds to the whimsy of pumpkins...
Do you think Cinderella would have ridden in a prickly stemmed pumpkin carriage?? 'smoothies' are probably a genetic modification for marketing purposes...and city folk :-)
Post a Comment