Sometimes, I check my site meter and wonder who the heck in that part of the country is reading my blog. Are they a stranger who is a voyeur (which is fine), a long lost friend or family member I don't know very well? I want to share an awesome story about blogging and how our writing reaches people whom we may never know.
Recently, I joined facebook.com. It's an online site to connect friends from school. We had a group of 11 girls in high school who were all really good friends. We took a photo together at our senior prom. Most of us have lost contact. One of the girls, Amy, was on facebook and we wrote to each other. We thought it would be fun to try to get all 11 of us on facebook just to catch up on where everyone is. Through some investigating, Amy found Sarah. Her and I weren't the closest in the group of 11, but she was always very sweet and kind. She was a good person and even at 16 you could tell that. Her brother in law and sister in law (Stephanie) were in a plane crash in Phoenix. They sustained major burns to their body, Christian 35% and Stephanie over 80%. Stephanie kept a web page nieniedialogues.com. Over the last few weeks, I've been reading her blog and loving every minute of it. She is always positive and it's truly beautiful to read every post. She is one of those Mom's that I admire and I doubt she could ever hate bubbles! Her sister has taken over her blog and is reposting some old favorite entries while Stephanie has been in a medically enduced coma for the past month awaiting skin grafts. Her story has been on the Today Show and written about in the AZ Republic and the New York Times. Why? She was a wonderful blogger. Her stories touched people. Sometimes, she'd write the smallest of things or post a photo of her stopped up sink full of Cheerios. She had readers around the globe most of whom she never knew. In her time of trouble, her blogger fans have supported her and her husband and raised over $100,000 to help with their medical bills which will total into the millions. There are times when we curse technology and think it's changing everything and not for the better. Then there are times like these when you realize it's a gift.
6 comments:
This is an amazing story and I will have to check out this blog! I found a meaningful new blog recently as well through the Christian Women Online site, and it's about a missionary group in Ukraine. It's interesting though that on this meaningful blog, there weren't many comments though perhaps the readership is large. There are several blogs that I like to check in on, about crafting and decorating and those blogs seem to always have numerous comments and I note that they even have giveaways there for placing comments. Sometimes I think that it's more pleasant for someone to write and read about simple topics (like knitting) that don't go too deep. Perhaps it's a diversion from the issues of life. I don't know... I suppose all blogs have their place, but I especially appreciate ones with personal stories and deep thoughts (like yours and the one that you mentioned).
Thanks for sharing. :-)
Gina- you rock! I was just thinking of adding the "donate to nienie" button on my page. I read it regularly as well as CJane's page where you get medical updates. The internet can truly be a wonderful place! Amy
Okay, since you're tracking me, I visit often, especially today because I was trying to figure out how you were tracking me! (I just added that to my site too!)
You're great!
Ok well I guess you can see that I go on here daily to see what is going on with the Galeana family....Gina hopefully one day we will meet....I think David should write on here moreas he does have a knack for speaking and writing....so tell him Michele said write more...but you are doing a great job and it is always very informative....Hope all is well there and when do you all plan on coming to Florida????
michele
it's me....and I keep checking in here from co. how small our world seems sometimes....I had been reading NieNie dialogues before their accident and have been following their recovery...and now to find out about Sarah! talk to you soon beans, sun
Gina,
This is a nice tribute to Stephanie and to blogging in general. I am so happy to read about your cute kids and family. And you don't look any older than the last time I saw you(um, 17 years ago), what's with that?
Post a Comment