I've been thinking a lot lately about this blog. I started it as a way to keep family and friends up to date on things going on in our lives. I had hoped that David would write some entries, but to date, he's only written one. It was about Forest's passing and I asked him to write it as I didn't think I could. Sometimes I don't feel like writing at all. Sometimes I feel that if I don't write for a week I might let one of the 5-10 people who read my blog down if they check everyday for a week and find nothing new. So, why do I blog?
David recently asked how long the blog and photos will stay on the web. I said I was pretty sure forever as I've seen blogs dated back to 2001. This is when we decided the blog is basically our diary, or rather mine. It's the diary I always promised that I'd keep for my kids. It's a way to fill the cute spiral journal that I have beside my bed that, after 5 years, still remains empty. So, why do I find time to blog when I've never found time to keep a journal?
It's accountability. I don't want to let my mother-in-law, best friend or Aunt down if they want to spend a few minutes browsing through my random thoughts and daily activities. I thank all 5-10 of you who read with regularity, who sometimes post a comment (which I love) and who I know are always logging on tomorrow hoping for a new story whether it's short, long, funny or personal. Someone will read it. Hopefully, someday, my daughter will sit at the computer and browse through all of the entries and gain some insight into her mother. And maybe, just maybe, she'll see things through my eyes...if only for a moment.
I recently came across a quote from Anais Nin that I just love.
"We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospection."
5 comments:
I love your blog, friend! I check it often and love to hear your rants, joys and observations. I hate to think how long we'd be on the phone if you didn't blog! And thank goodness you blog regularly. If you didn't, I would have to send someone over to see if you were trapped under something heavy. ;) Love you!
Well I guess I have a reputation to up hold, First a nag and now a busy body...Seriously,I love, absolutely love reading what's going on with you guys. Even though you know I talk to David every weekend and have his point of view on stuff. It is mostly a lot of conversation about his job or with a different point of view. So I enjoy hearing( reading )it all. The pics are a bonus, but still not a substitute for my Monday morning email attachments. Next week you should have your new camera , I hope it's not too difficult to learn to use. I hope you learn well so when I come out in Novemeber you'll be able to teach me how. :)I got one also, but of course will need some help. I am a technological clutz...
It is great to have those old stories held in the recesses of your memory come back to life by reading about it somehwere down the road. When I read my father's journal from 1951, it is amazing how many events came back to me .Don't give up! Emily will love you for it even more :)
Gina, I think you're the only one who reads my blog. My own family forgets that its there. Thank you! It keeps me going and now my blog is part of the RaisingMaine.com community of bloggers where I share the viewpoint of a trasplanted desert city girl. Fun stuff!
Like "bliss_happens", my own immediate family forgets my blog is there as well, I suspect, since I've never received any comments from them about it. My dear sister-in-law and niece though are faithful in leaving comments.
I love the quote as well, and I agree that I write online as a diary also. It started for me as a way of practicing my writing and sharing it with others, but then as the stories developed, I could see that this would be a great memory "book" for my daughter in the years to come.
I thoroughly enjoy all of your blog items and I'm one of those who look forward to reading it and seeing the photos as well.
Love,
Linda
I read your blog..The only problem with them is that I find it more fun to read them then to reply to them as I am sure you have noticed, I am not a writer and am lazy about commenting but I do enjoy knowing what you all are up to especially the adventures of Em & Ben as they are mighty entertaining ..Keep them coming.Auntie Barb
Post a Comment