Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Runaway

Emily is Star Student of the Week at school. She was the first one for the school year. Which means she's one of the most well behaved, smartest kids in the class. At school, she does exactly what's she told the first time and always tries her hardest.

Then, she comes home.

I don't know what happens but a switch flips. She's loud, doesn't listen, and I have to tell her about 10 times to do something. The other day I was cleaning and came across all her hair stuff lying around the house. I put it in my hair and keep going until I can get back to my bathroom and put it up where it belongs. I've told her 100 times to put her hair stuff up where it belongs. Yet, this was me the other day.
Photobucket
I guess every parent has these gripes. I just expect more out of an almost 8 year old. We don't ask our kids to do a lot of chores or anything around the house, so on the few occasions, I ask for help, you darn well better help me.

The other night David was out of town for work. I was a single parent. It's awful. I feel for anybody who has to do that every night. I couldn't make it alone. My kids would eat me alive.

Emily and I were mixing as well as oil and water. Her homework took over 2 hours when it could have taken 30 minutes. She was messing around, being loud, doing anything but what I was telling her. When bath time came, I told them to pick up first. Ben was picking up. Noah was even picking up. So were my Mom and I. Emily was laying on the sofa making a video of herself on my iPhone. I should post it just to mortify her, but I won't.

I lost it. I yelled at her and put her in solitary in her room. I got the boys bathed and was walking down the hallway when I found her pillow pet thrown out by her door.
Photobucket
I asked her what it was and she said she packed a bag because she didn't think I'd want her here anymore. Oh, my Emily is going to win an Oscar one day. But, I think it's a rite of passage for every kid. David and I each told stories about when we packed our bag as kids. In any case, Emily and I kissed and made up, and she's being very helpful around the house. I know it won't last, but I'm enjoying it.

In case you were wondering, Emily packed a bathing suit and something to draw with in her pillow pet. I guess she was planning on being an artistic hobo in San Diego.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Oh my goodness, yes I could tell you stories, but you would think the worst of me then because coming from a house with just one of my own, things have been horrible at times - screaming, slamming doors, breaking door frames in the process... Sarah is pretty much just like Emily when it comes to school - she too was always the star student (student-of-the-month here), still makes honor roll, etc. but at home... oh boy.

Anyway - Congrats to her on making the Star Student and I love reading about your days - truth and all. ♥

Love, Linda

Linda said...

and I forgot to mention, I love that you wore all of the hair clips as you picked them up - too funny. :D