As a baby, Noah was not picky. He ate just about every fruit and vegetable. Until I went from stage 2 to stage 3 baby foods. Stage 3 has some texture to it. Noah has issues with texture. He was over a year old and I refused to still feed him food made for a 6 month old. I was sure he'd transition to table food quickly.
It's been a very slow transition for Noah. The kid won't even try foods. A strawberry or grape are just fun squishy dinnertime toys. And a piece of corn might as well be acid when you try to put it in his mouth. Really, have you ever met somebody who doesn't like corn? No, everybody likes corn. Well, everybody except Noah.
If we try to force him to eat, he cries until he chokes and throws up. That just ruins everyones meal. So, we've decided to let him take the wheel on this one. And if he only eats rice and pasta for dinner, so be it. May I add the pasta sauce has to be homemade. I tried to give him Ragu once and wouldn't even go near it.
Noah doesn't really eat meals though. He's a grazer. He likes to eat little bits here and there. He prefers carbs out of a bag. Dry cereal, crackers and chips are his favorites. He'll go crazy every once in awhile and have a Dannon Yogurt Smoothie or a string cheese. We all sit down together every night for dinner. Noah's meal is just different from ours. I always try to give him some of what we have, but he usually just throws it on the floor for the dog.
Needless to say, Rocko is gaining weight. Noah is holding steady at 27 pounds.
The other night David made a ham dinner with au gratin potatoes, green beans, corn and biscuits. Noah had his usual - a bowl of plain rice. I had a plate next to the rice of ham and corn, but we all knew that was going to be dog food.
We decided to try to coax him into eating with some cheering. It worked. By the way, Ben dressed Noah up as Robin. Ben was Batman of course.
He ate all his food!
Tomorrow, we are all going to cheer around the toilet bowl and hope for the same success!
3 comments:
Ahh yes, the food battles I remember them all, and I understand why you do what you do, but gotta say, he wouldn't have survived at our house. Sarah had no choices other than what I made for dinner. I stressed over the fact that she hardly ever ate much, but truthfully as a doctor told me once and also some wise parents - if she's hungry, she will eat. It's not like they're going to truly starve themselves. So, there's always just been one meal offered. Luckily out of whatever I made there was usually something she would eat 2 bites of. She is still so tiny - but she's healthy and rarely ever ever sick, so must have done something right, I guess.
Anyway - I remember the food battles and it's not fun when dinnertime is like that.
Love, Linda
Too funny!
I have a few picky eaters too. hoping they grow out of it. smoothies and the novelty of a straw have been my saving grace. i add some carrots and spinach in with the strawberries and orange juice, and they love it!
Post a Comment