Tuesday, November 2, 2010

She Makes Us Proud

I had my first parent teacher conference last week. We had one in Kindergarten, but David went to it. So there I was sitting in a chair three times too small listening to Emily's teacher say some pretty wonderful things about my daughter. I was so proud of her. She is such a good student and tries her best.

Her report card was pretty darn impressive. I don't think I ever got grades this high and I doubt David did either. I usually got O's and S's, but never 21 O's and 1 S+.

Then the teacher showed me her reading stats. She's already reading 47 words per minute. At this time of year, they want less than 20. By the end of the year, 60.


And all this hard work earned her Student of the Month for August! August! That's awesome!

So, we all went to the assembly yesterday and watched her get recognized for Student of the Month.

And she also got Perfect Attendance for the first quarter. Last year, she was sick at least one day out of every quarter. So far, so good this year.

They called all the names of the kids who had perfect attendance and they stood up. Out of the entire K, 1, 2 and 3 grades, maybe 40 kids stood up.

She is doing so well in school and we are so proud of her.
Great job Em!

3 comments:

Linda said...

This is all awesome (WAY TO GO EMILY!!!!) and I remember those times, though here they receive letter grades from the beginning - even in Kindergarten.

Every year, it was the same for us - all sorts of glowing reports for Sarah.

Then... entered Junior High. Still pretty awesome but not without issues. Suddenly, I had to nag for everything. Remember this project, turn in homework, etc., etc.

Now comes Freshman year of High School and while her overall final grades still look pretty awesome (mostly A's), it's horrendous. There have been numerous F's - tons of homework not turned in - and oh yeah.... refusing to dress continually for P.E., which is a required subject here in Illinois for 3 1/2 years of High School and the grade for P.E. counts for part of the GPA. Still... all that being said - and she just doesn't care and pretty much does what she feels like despite discipline.

I'm at my wit's end trying to keep her on track. And this... is a highly gifted student, but I've learned from others with the same that they just don't always care and in fact there's even a large dropout rate for gifted students. Not that we're heading there... but still. Every day I'm in tears.

So... enjoy the early years and likely Emily will continue on the wonderful road because you both are wonderful. Though, I thought I was too... :P

pam said...

Way to go, Em! Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

Wow ! Way to go Emily. Grammie is sure proud of all your accomplishments.♥
Keep up the good work.
I can hardly wait to see you all again and have Emily read me a story..She will be into Chapter books before too much longer, I guess. I have 3 or 4 sets of the American doll story books for her from Betsy. She'll be gobbling them up before too much longer. They are just so heavy to carry . Oh well we'll see.
Again Congrats Mom and Dad for all the diligence and hard work you have put into helping Emily become the sweet accomplished little learner she has become. ☼
Love,
G.