Monday, November 8, 2010

Books, Tomatoes and Chores

It was a gorgeous weekend. Not too cold, not too warm, a slight breeze...beautiful. It's suppose to drop 10 degrees this week, so lows at night will be about 23 degrees. We spent much of Saturday morning removing anything left in the garden. The kids wanted to help and by help I mean lay on the hammock and have me get them books. The sun was really intense so I also had to put up an umbrella and get Ben sunglasses. His eyes are more sensitive to the sun. They have a rough life.

While they were relaxing, David and I were picking all the tomatoes out of the garden. Fried green tomatoes anyone?

There are easily over 500 tomatoes. They'll probably take until Christmas to ripen up. Oh well they are red and green, they'll fit right in with my Christmas decorations.

I asked Emily to feed the dog on Saturday night while I was doing dishes and David was wrestling with Ben and Noah. She pitched a huge fit. And I decided their time of doing nothing is over. I had chores as a kid and I never had an allowance. We were all expected to pitch in. And that's what my kids are going to start doing. They are now clearing dishes from the table at meal time and they are doing any other chores that I think they can do throughout the day.

They put away the clean laundry. Notice the costume...Walmart clearance...and we are all done with costumes for next year for $8. Even Noah wanted to help. And by help I mean pull every piece of laundry out of the basket and throw it on the floor.

I even had Em do the windows. Sure she needed David to help her a little bit, but as long as they are trying and not complaining about it, I don't care.

And Ben helped me give those 500 tomatoes a bath. Emily also feeds the dog now at night without complaining. I like chores. I like them even better when my kids are helping me do them.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Great harvest!! :) Good for you, picking them all - we got sick of our tomatoes and I ended up mowing them down right before the first frost which was a while ago. Now we're having warm weather again.

Good for you on having the children help with the chores. With only one child, I'm really not very good at this - she helps... sometimes. She has started preparing dinner once in a while which is nice.

My three sisters and I didn't have to do anything all of those years at home - Mom did it all - so I didn't have good training in that, lol. I joke with Mom now, when they come over for dinner, that she's probably surprised that I turned out as self-sufficient as I am but she always says "No - I knew you had it in you". And remember... I lived at home until I was nearly 30.... :P

Hope you have a great new week. :)

brownymama said...

Whoa!! Holy cow! That is a lot of tomatoes! I thought our garden at the Gazelle house was doing well when we had like 50 tomatoes. (:

And we are all about chores over here. We use points and the kids can earn "extra points" for doing extra chores. Works like a charm~

Anonymous said...

Too bad you and the family are not into Chow chow. (a kind of pickles made with green tomatoes) My mother used to make batches of chow chow every year and what a great way to use all those green tomatoes. We loved it and I was just thinking I haven't had it for years. Yummy!
Glad to see Ben and Emily using their spare time productively.( reading together) Also glad to see the assignment of a few chores. That will only help them to become even better little people and they are certainly old enough for sure. I don't think an allowance is necessarily part of the chore process. They have to learn they are part of the family and as such need to share in the duties. Look at what great roll models you and David both are for them.
Have a great rest of the week.☼
Love,
G