Friday, May 8, 2009

The Reaction

People have asked what Emily and Ben's reaction was to finding out that we were having a boy. We took the kids with us to the ultrasound. Ben was tired and spent most the time laying on the floor, better than ripping out the cords to the ultrasound machine. Emily was very interested and asked a lot of questions.

This whole time Emily kept saying she wanted a baby brother. We kept encouraging her that it be great if she had a sister and she could play Barbies with her and dress up. We were so convinced it was a girl. Nope, she wanted a brother. Ben too. So, I guess they got what they were hoping for. But then, when Emily saw the penis on the screen, she changed her mind. She wants a sister and was requesting for us to have a sister after this brother. Um, nope, this is our last one.

On the way to pick Em up from preschool, I stopped at a yard sale. We sold all of our baby stuff when we moved. We have our crib as Ben was still in that and a few other things. So, we will be going to yard sales and shopping on Craiglist to get the few things that we need (swing, car seat and clothes). I picked up over 20 outfits/onesies, some hats and mittens for only $9. When we got home, Emily was all about dressing up her dolls in the clothes. (I'm hoping she doesn't color the babies eyes and ears in blue permanent marker. Note to self: hide the Sharpies). Then she told me, "Mommy, I'm glad I'm going to have another baby brother." When I asked her why, she said, "Because Benjamin is rude to me and this one won't be." So, there you have it. She is officially happy about it being a boy.

As for Ben, he says he wants to go back in my belly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering how they reacted to the news. Now, I know. I bet they would both be happy with whatever they got. Ben will finally be a Big brother and Emily will have one more challenge to teach a younger sibling how to share. I do have to say she is very cute and loving in the attached picture. So sweet.

Linda said...

I love reading their perspective. So cute!