Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Letting Go, Growing Up

Last week, Emily and I got into a huge fight.

Over a shirt.

She picked out an orange shirt from Old Navy a few months ago. She's worn it several times since then. I was getting her ready for school and she had an absolute fit about wearing this shirt. The more stubborn she became, the more stubborn I became. We are alike in that aspect. I couldn't understand why wearing this shirt was such a big deal. She expressed later that it was because it had a V-neck and she didn't want to wear that to school.

I vowed to never pick out her clothes again. I don't care if she goes to school in a plaid skirt and flower top with various colors of the rainbow. I will only help her if she asks.

The next morning she got herself dressed and proudly came walking out wearing her V-neck orange shirt! What!? I don't know if it was to spite me or apologize. I think the latter. In any case, I'm letting go and realizing that my little girl is growing up and can make up her own mind.

She graduated from preschool the other night. Today is her last day of school. A little over two months from now, I'll be walking her into her Kindergarten class, sobbing. Just another reminder that time is going by too quickly.

She looked adorable in her cap and gown.
Where did she get those amazing cheekbones?


The lighting was really poor in the church, so the pictures didn't turn out.
Here she is waiting to be called up for her diploma.


Here she is getting her diploma. Well, you can barely see her in the background. It's really just a shot of some lady who decided to walk around and ruin everyones photos.


They sang some songs and did a slide show of photos of the year. It was a nice presentation.

I got a little weepy when they came walking in to pomp and circumstance. I know it will feel like a blink of an eye and she will be 18, graduating from high school and ready to leave our family and our home for college.


And I'll look back and fondly remember the huge fight about the orange shirt and my little girl growing up right before my eyes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you,Thank you,Thank you. I am so proud and just beaming from ear to ear! What will I do when it is High School? That's when I'll be weeping too.

pam said...

Very cute! She does look adorable in the cap and gown. Can't wait to see her in it again 13 and 17 years from now - we'll be old, then!

Linda said...

Awww!! You remind me of the fights Sarah and I had about clothes and how I came to the same conclusion as you. Sarah had a pink Hello Kitty blouse that she adored and wore every single day at the beginning of Kindergarten. Oh boy, I stressed over that. Until I finally said "So what - so what if she wants to wear the same shirt every day?" I just had to wash it a lot. And eventually of course, she grew out of both the shirt and the phase.

The photos and your story are so cute. I laughed at your comment about the lady walking around ruining everyone's photos, lol.

Savor every minute - I know you do. :)