Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Ben's Journal

The other day I was going through the afternoon ritual, unloading backpacks, unpacking lunches, getting homework together for the kids to do after they get 30 minutes of free time.

I came across a green notebook in Ben's backpack. It was his journal from school. It's suppose to stay in their seat sack, but on occasion, he accidentally packs up something he shouldn't. I flipped through it and it made my day. Here are some of the highlights.

This says:  "My family is cool.  They love me.  My sister's name is Emily.  I like Emily."  He misspelled Emily's name, but come to think of it, I've never taught him how to spell her name.  The little girl that sits across from him is Emily also, but spelled Emilee.  I asked him where Noah was and he said he didn't have time to draw him.
Photobucket
This was after we had the kids watch a Dateline about Stranger Danger approaching kids in an ice cream truck.  At least he retained what he learned!
Photobucket
This says:  "Something I don't like is my patch."  Ben is still patching his good eye 3 hours a day.  I love the drawing of the patch. 
Photobucket
This says:  "I went to Wet N Wild.  It was fun."  That's him going down the Boa Constrictor, his favorite slide.
Photobucket
This says:  "My brother is 3 years old.  He is bad."  The picture is of Noah throwing a ball through a window and me freaking out.  Noah of course saying "it was not me".  That's never happened...yet.  Well, breaking the window has never happened.  I freak out every day.
Photobucket
This says:  I remember I dressed up as superman.  I was flying.  It was cool."  I love the drawing and that he's always wearing glasses in his pictures.
Photobucket
This says:  "me and my family were camping.  We were cooking marshmellows.  We were sleeping in a tent."  I love the drawings and how when he draws his profile, it really just looks like he's cyclops.
Photobucket
Oh how we love this kid!

3 comments:

Linda said...

That's awesome!! He's quite talented :)

Anonymous said...

Ben is so sweet. He does such a great job with his journals and his illustrations are great too. He puts in such detail and it interesting how he perceives himself being a one eyed character... I'm not sure how many 1st graders do as well as that. Especially just beginning 1st grade, maybe later in the year they would have some spelling skills but he does pretty darn well. Keep it up Ben! Guess he has some of his parents writing, (artistic and imaginary) skills. ☼
Love,
G.

Piper said...

He is just so adorable :)