Yeah, me neither. Thank God for insurance.
Mine and Noah's hospital bills came to a whopping $198,132.93.
I was in the hospital for 7 days and had a c-section. My total came to $81,904.04. My air-evac alone was $22,652. Mind you, we are only 100 miles from the hospital and I'm sure it's much less as the crow flies (or helicopter in this case).
Noah was in the NICU (intensive care for preemies) for 18 days. His bill came to $116,228.89. That's almost $6500 a day.
We paid $135. It would have only been $10, but two days before everything happened, I went to the OB Triage at the hopsital. It apparently is considered an emergency room visit and since they discharged me, they are charging me the $125. Had they done any blood work on me, they never would've discharged me. We may dispute it. It's worth the phone call anyway.
All in all, I'm pretty happy with our insurance as we had no idea if the air-evac would be covered. I mean, who seriously looks at those types of things in their policy? We were a little worried that we would owe something for that little journey.
It's no wonder they were more than happy to hand out a thousand dollars for David's vasectomy. Much cheaper than me getting pregnant again!
4 comments:
That's awesome that you have such great insurance. What do you have anyway? We haven't had medical insurance in almost 4 years and have had to pay everything out of pocket!
Yep, hooray for good insurance - I can't imagine working anywhere else but the University because I've had a lifetime of great insurance thanks to them!! :)
You beat me out...but not by much! You took a helicopter ride but Brayden spent 12 more days in the hospital. It's interesting to see the difference.
Thank God you were covered...by the way if you lived in Canada all of those expenses would have been covered by our medicare system .That is not say that we don't pay for it because we do with our taxes which I can believe must be a little higher than yours, but we don't pay that much that we notice it..As an example I was in the hospital this past year for not one but 2 hip replacement surgeries and almost a month in the hsopital plus 6 weeks of home care and intervenous drugs plus 6 more weeks of anti-biotics and believe or not we paid $0.00 for everything..so come on now your guys move to Canada!!! I am so happy that David has a job that provides that great health plan I wish others had as good a plan..Love Ya Auntie Barb..p.s. ask Alisa how much she paid for her babies and she works in the health care industry
Post a Comment