Friday, August 16, 2019

A New Career

I've worked since I was 13 with a 5 year gap to have kids. Then, I started a part time job working from home, which has been a huge blessing. But, it's really only 15-20 hours a week, and sometimes I just felt like I could be doing more and learning more.

When we decided to buy this house for Gwynne and Enrique to rent from us, we knew it would make a huge dent in on our savings. We wanted to put down 20%, so that we didn't have to pay the mortgage interest. Plus, blinds, landscaping, ceiling fans, upgrading tile, etc.When I looked at where we were, I didn't like it. We don't do debt. We don't have a mortgage, car payments or credit card debt, and that's how we like it.

So, I thought I should get a second part time job. I thought about where I wanted to work and know I probably have about 20 years left of working, and I decided I wanted to work at our grocery store. I'm always there. I love the environment and the fast pace. So, I applied and I waited and waited. They finally called and had an opening in the bakery. Ok. I figure I would take anything, get my foot in the door. During my interview, she said that she thought I'd be best for Starbucks.

I didn't even realize that the Starbucks employees were employeed by the grocery store, but that's how it works. So, I agreed.  I had to go to Fry's (which is AZ version of Kroger) training for several days. Then, I had to do Starbucks training.  This was taken before one of the trainings for Fry's.

And Starbucks is so hard. There are tons of drinks and recipes and codes to write on the cups. It just boggles the mind. I've worked about 25 hours this week and I still feel pretty clueless. But, I know that's how it is for everyone in the beginning. I'll get it eventually.

My schedule is all over the place and they let people pick shifts based on seniority, which means I'm last. I'll probably be evenings and weekends for awhile. Luckily, the grocery store is only open 5AM to 8PM. So, it's not too bad. But, I know things will drastically change around our house.

It's so nice that we have a little village we can count on. Now, we also have Gwynne who can get a kid from an after school activity if needed. It really does take a village!

I've been having fun though working and it's nice to get out of the house and off my ass!  Seriously, I'm so sick of sitting down and working, which is great because you barely get a 15 minute break at Starbucks. So, here's to a new chapter of learning and a new career. Who knows where I'll go in the next 20 years?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gina, it does Not matter what career
U Are in...u are So Smart n very Quick
To Learn..well, You can do Anything!! :)
The Bakery, is right up ur alley..you
Worked in our Dunkin Donut Shop for so Many years..ur a Natural in a Bakery.
You can do it all..You Look very Pretty in ur Starbucks..Apron. u will be an Expert in a New York minute..n that's
Fast..Oh how bout Manager.Love Mommy

Linda said...

You look so cute! :) I hope you enjoy your new job!! Congratulations!

I don't know about 20 years... lol, I'm 54 and quite enjoying NOT working and that's how it's going to stay. Ha. ;) I'm actually so structured that my days are normally filled from beginning to end and I keep Jim hopping. If he sits too long to watch tv during the day, I'm right at him saying "get up buddy, what's your plans? Get moving!!" lol

Love, Linda