Monday, October 23, 2017

Where Did My Baby Go?

So, this happened last week. Emily got a phone. We held out for as long as possible, but it was just starting to be such a hassle.  Between after school stuff, youth group at church, etc, I kept saying, "have your friend text me when you're ready". Emily was the last of all her friends to get a phone. My final draw was when I had to call the school and ask them to deliver a message to my daughter about when I'd pick her up after school.

We got her an iphone 6 for $200 and we went to a prepay account, so my cell phone bill only went up by $10 to add a second line. She was thrilled, but ugh, I hate cell phones.  She's not obsessed with it yet, so that's good.  I told her, "The mother giveth data and the mother can taketh away".  I hope it never comes to that.


Then, she went to her first school dance on Friday. Her friend, Ava, came over and the got ready. Emily needed help with eyeliner. 

They dressed as BTS, which is a Korean pop group they love. They speak in Korean, obviously, and these girls have been learning Korean.  I liked New Kids on the Block, she likes K-pop.  Fine by me. At least it isn't some rapper with pants on the ground. 

Here she is with her friends all dressed up...

Here they are after the dance. They went to the high school football game after.Yes, there is a boy in the picture, but he's not into girls.  The best guy friend to have is a gay one!  :) He actually lives across the street from us.  He's a nice kid.

And her and I were a one/two team making frappuccino's yesterday at church.  So, it was like working with my daughter.  I started the frappe (put in coffee/milk/syrups, etc) and she finishes (puts in ice, powder and blends and pours). We sometimes have 10 frappes waiting to be made at any given time, so we have to hustle.  I think we made about 50 yesterday and the majority are made in a 30 minute window right before church starts. It's chaos, but fun.  

Phones, dances, work...where did my baby go?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh..Gina, it happens to all of us parents...'where did my baby go'its a part of life..Emily is growing up..you n David will get used to it...as a parent of 3 kids..well I got used to it..I did not always like it but. Ummm. ..u n em helping at church..FUN...Gina u learned at our Dunkin Donuts..Wating on all those customers..n u did a terrific job Honey...my love n hugs mama xoxo

Anonymous said...

Em n girlftiends look so cute n adorable!!!
I saw those south Korean girls on tv...
They r really good singers n dancers..
Xoxo mom

Linda said...

Super fun times!!! :)

I think the best time of life is wherever one is at that moment. I totally enjoy not having little kids around anymore and the way things are right now. Maybe someday grandkids and I'll feel differently, but not yet. ♥

Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

Good times! So happy she is enjoying middle school!
Love,
Me

Anonymous said...

Well all I can say about our little girl is that she is definitely growing up... her own phone, school dances and of course the make up... But, I hope she is still my sweet little #1 grandchild. ♥
Love,
G