Friday, January 6, 2012

Epic Failure?

Nothing quite makes me happier than clearing out the fridge. Eating leftovers, watching empty containers go in the sink. It makes me happy. Does it make you happy too? Anyone? Anyone?

I had 1 cup of pumpkin leftover from last weeks final Christmas celebration. I decided to whip together a loaf of pumpkin bread. I used this recipe because I stalk this ladies blog and she always makes such pretty desserts and serves them up on white pie plates. It's her Aunt Lucille's recipe. I don't know Aunt Lucille, but I imagine she serves up a pretty mean pumpkin bread. I halved the recipe because we only had 1 cup of pumpkin to get rid of.

I made 2 mini loves because they cook faster. The timer beeped. They looked good. I was supposed to meet my friend to walk in 3 minutes. I pull the loaves out, do the toothpick test, which came out clean, and went walking. No excuses, remember?

When I came back, my pumpkin loaves looked like a volcano with a giant hole in the middle. Bummer. I tasted an end and Aunt Lucille is spot on. My Mom convinced me to cut them open and bake them longer. After another 15 minutes, they are cooked. Behold - the twice baked pumpkin loaf!
Photobucket
We kept cutting off ends to test to see if they were done.

The bad news is they look awful.

The good news is they still taste pretty good. Extra crispy, but good.

Imagine how great they will taste when I cook them long enough next time.

On another note, I haven't had a manicure since sometime in 2010. Noah gave it a whirl today.

I think he's as good of a manicurist as I am as a baker. I won't be quitting my day job anytime soon.

2 comments:

Linda said...

You're so funny :D Love reading your stories.

As for manicures - I've never had one professionally in my life and don't want one. Everyone close to me knows - NO spas, no massages, no pedis or manis. I do my own nails, which are always short as can be, like I like them. I do keep my toe nails polished year round because I run around barefoot even in the winter, lol.

So there.... just had to share as usual and now you know way more than you need to about me, ha ha.

Back to watching movies with Jim. No news from Sarah, but I'm hoping it means that it's going okay. Her Grandpa was out of the hospital and back home and though not doing well - hanging on and they were talking about having something like a big family dinner since everyone is down there.

Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

Loved the video of Noah.It is amazing he didn't drop that emery board with the delicate way he was holding it. Anyway you know he has that skill and you can send him out to work , if need be... or maybe he could schedule appointments to come to the house. Hmmm!
Looks like the pumpkin bread was still eatable even though it was twice baked. maybe you'll start a new trend. !☺
Love,
G