Sometimes we get so wrapped up in our daily lives that we don't realize how lucky we are. I know I'm blessed with a great husband and two wonderful healthy little kids. I know that I'm fortunate to get to stay home and watch them grow up. I could really go on and on with how lucky I am, but what I really want to talk about is my husband. He is truly a gift. He brings me flowers on special occasion like he's supposed to. He's always thoughtful and respectful to me. What really makes him exceptional is that he knows what I want. Flowers are pretty and I always appreciate them, but that's not the way to my heart and he knows that. I love sleep and I love coffee.
Here is David's morning routine. He gets up at around 5:30. Not because he has to but because he has done it for so long that he can't sleep later. He either walks the dog or goes for a 3 mile run and then takes Forest for a walk around the block. He comes home by 6:30. Around this time one of the kids, usually Ben, is waking up. If Ben gets up while David is out walking, he will come in bed with me and lay down. When David gets home, he comes in the room to find me asleep. He will take out whoever is in bed with me (sometimes I'm alone), he'll turn off the monitors and he'll shut the bedroom door. He leaves for work an hour later. During that time, both kids usually get up. He gets them their coffee (yes, both my kids drink coffee in the morning) and he turns on whatever cartoon they want to watch while he gets ready. He comes in the room about 7:25 to wake me up. As I stroll out to the kitchen, he has my coffee waiting for me prepared exactly as I like it. I usually sit in front of the computer and sip my coffee while I wake up. He gives us all a kiss and heads off to work.
This is our morning routine and has been for at least a year. I just take it for granted. Until at a recent playgroup, somebody mentioned that they were up at 5:30. I gasped. The horror. Why would anybody do that to themselves? As we shared our morning stories, I realized that I'm the only one who wakes up after 7:00. Most Mom's make their husbands coffee and are up with before the sun. I heard a lot of "I wish my hubby would do that" and "you're lucky". And you know what? They're right. I am lucky.
2 comments:
Often times you are right we are more blessed than we realize! What a gift it is to be aware that you are blessed. David is a wonderful husband! From all you have said in the past and from what I have seen it is clear that He cares about YOU and often times puts you above himself. Not many husbands do that. I am thankful that my Matt also puts a lot of effort into little things to help me and care for me! How different life would be without them! How much less enjoyable in so many ways!
This is wonderful. And you made me feel guilty because I so often take this for granted in my own marriage. Jim also gets up early even on the days when he doesn't have to (when he works from home), makes the coffee and has my coffee and a toasted bagel waiting for me when I come out from getting ready for work. Unfortunately I have to get up around 5:30 as I go to work early, but the fact that he thinks of me each morning like this, starts the day out nicely.
Post a Comment