If you don't know what it is, I'm sure you've seen the pictures. Everyone has.
It rained so hard that it was flooded and the ladders to get to it were not safe, etc. David and I walked around to a few other tour places. Yep, the lower canyon was all cancelled. The upper canyon tours were still on, but I didn't pick that one. It was a miserable day and without the sun streaming in like in the photo, it would just not be as spectacular. I'm sure they are still pretty amazing though.
But, we just decided we'll have to come back another time. It's not impossible to do it in a day trip if we want.
So, we pressed on to Horseshoe Bend. It's about a mile hike. And guess what? It was raining. Thank goodness before we left, I borrowed two umbrellas from Dakri, so that we all had our own. It was worth the walk in the rain though as the site is awesome. It is made up of Glen Canyon and the Colorado River.
You can kayak around there at times. All the tours here book up months in advance. Not only that, but it's all on Indian tribal land, so you run by their rules. Which are few and far between. Like is there a standby list for the next tour? Just come back in an hour. Um, okay. Can you text me if there is an opening? No. Um, okay, then. That's how it always is.
Emily took a few pics with some fancy app that puts nice colored filters, so it doesn't look so gray out.
It was raining and it made me so nervous. We wouldn't let the boys go within 5 feet of the edge. It's just so scary.
Here's Emily and Noah making their way back.
At this point, we looked at the radar. It's going to be snowing and raining for the next 3 days. We have a horseback ride scheduled Monday that may be cancelled and a Jeep rental on Tuesday that may be cancelled if the higher elevations get too much snow. We asked the kids if they just wanted to head home and forget it. We could try Colorado another time. Really, we never get rain like this. There will probably be 5 rainy weekends all year and we got one of them.
But, they all said, no way! They rather just push on and make lemonade. So, we did. If we end up at the movies tomorrow or bowling, that's the way it goes. Everything we wanted to do is outside.
But, the scenery is all so pretty from the nice dry car. Here's the smoke stacks from the dam.
Here's some more nice scenery. Today was a longer drive, 4ish hours.
Then, we stopped at the four corners. If you don't know, Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico is the only place that makes four perfect 90 degree squares, so it's a thing. And by thing, I mean, the Indians charge $5 a person to take a picture at the X. But, it's something you have to do once in your life.
Noah did a plank in all 4 states.
Then, we threw some rocks in Utah, I think.
And we finally made it to Colorado. And, it's raining! David and the kids have never been to Colorado, so we are hoping the next few days are more than just rainy.
We went to Applebee's for dinner. Not our usual type of place on vacation, but everything else was super busy or fancy. So, basic it is.
We got some ice cream at Baskin Robbins and headed to the indoor hot tubs at our hotel.
We had another great day. We are having fun as a family and just being together. And if I don't have to cook for 5 days, I'll do just about anything.

3 comments:
I'm glad you pushed on despite the weather. Can't let the weather dictate your fun. The scenery is gorgeous and although I've only been to Colorado once, it's a favorite place for me now. Love it. Have a continued awesome time!!
Love, Linda
Like Linda said, I'm glad you didn't let the rain get you down.The pictures Emily took with the special lens or filter really turned out good. Didn't look like the kind of day it was at all. The pictures at four corners are great. I've heard of it many times but never actually saw what it looked like in real life.Hoping that today turned out to be a better day weather wise.
Love,
G
Yes..Arizona Utah. Colorado, n New Mexico
Are all Beautiful..looking at some places
Can be Breathtaking..u stand there with ur mouth open in AWE..GOOD JOB Emily, Awesome
Pics.. :) the Four corners is Thrilling,
U just stand in the circle n walk around
It , n u just were in 4 different states
In seconds..!!!! Gina, ur family has done
N seen
Some exciting things..Rain, Rain go Away..
But like u said, it's our Family trip
Together n we are Happy n having fun.Bingo.!!
My love to all Momma :)
Post a Comment