Friday, April 20, 2018

Color Guard!

High school was a blast! I was on cheer and had a ton of friends, and if someone asked me to go back and do it over again, I wouldn't even hesitate. David's high school career, not so much. He wouldn't go back, not even if someone paid him.

Emily has always been shy and quiet. She came out of her shell a bit when she went to Jr. High, but she'd still be described by classmates as quiet and shy. But, she did become more confident the past few years.

When we went to future freshman night a few months ago, I told her she had to get involved in something. I didn't care what it was, she just needed to be in a group or on a team. It literally changes your high school experience from a crappy one to a great one. When we walked into the gym with all the tables set up for all the different groups, there were a few girls from Color Guard twirling flags. Color Guard is the flagline. They perform with the marching band at football games. Emily saw them and thought it looked cool. So, we put her name on the list of girls interested in Color Guard.

A few weeks ago, we found out they were holding auditions for Color Guard now for next years team. It was 3 nights this week from 2:30 to 5:00. Emily said she'd do it. Then, the night before, she came in my room after 10:00 and said she was scared and not sure she could go through with it. She was just going to walk from her school to the high school since they are right next to each other. I told her she would do fine and if she wanted, I would come get her to help ease some of the anxiety.

She had an hour to kill since her school gets out an hour early on Wednesday. So, I picked her up and brought her a change of clothes. We went to Starbucks, and then I dropped her off at the high school. She vaguely remembered where the band room was from the future freshman night. I told her where to go. She was scared to get lost. I told her I could walk like 200 feet ahead of her and just point to the class and nobody would even know her Mommy was walking her in. She said she'd be okay.

So, off she went.

Then, she texted me a minute later and said there were all these high school kids and she wanted to come back to the car.  But, she pushed on and texted me when she made it to the room.  Whew.  She said the girls were all really nice and luckily, she knew one of the 8th graders from her school that was trying out too.  

Then, she came home that night with a flag to practice with. It's a little different trying out for flagline. She's never done this before. Would she get it? Would she be good? I understood her apprehension. Most sports, you are confident in your abilities. She had to learn a choreographed dance routine and a flag routine.  Both had to be performed today along with an interview.

David picked her up each night since she was done right when he got off work.  I texted her to see how it went and she said good and they would find out in a few months.  Months? What?  Then, she got home and told her Dad and I together that she made it!  She wanted to surprise us both at the same time.  

I'm so so happy for her.  I know this is just another confidence boost for her and I know how amazing this group of girls will be for her in the coming years. It doesn't matter if it's a cheer squad, a softball team or flagline, you develop some of the best friends of your life in these groups. I know she will have so many wonderful experiences and make lasting friendships. I hope she finds her Pam.  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, friend. You made me cry! I'm so happy for Em! I'm so proud of her for overcoming her fear and trying something new. She's going to make so many friends before school even starts. The first day of high school will be a breeze! I know she'll meet her Beans and have a blast! Love you! Xo

Piper said...

Congrats, Em!

Anonymous said...

So happy for Emily. Not only that she made the team but she is surely taking steps to being self sufficient. Your little girl is growing up ... way too fast. ♥ I really hope she enjoys the flag team and the end result will be as you predicted for her.
Love,
G

Anonymous said...

Emily, I am so PROAD OF YOU!! :) CONGRATS...
YOU ARE TALENTED, SMART, A QUICK LEARNER, A GREAT DANCER, HAVE A SWEET PERSONALITY, YOUR FUN TO BE WITH, YOUR BEAUTIFUL INSIDE N OUT,
YOU WILL SHINE ON THE FOOTBALL FIELD MARCHING WITH the BAND WAVING UR GOLDEN FLAG!!
GOD BLESS N KEEP ON SMILING.. :)
ALL MY LOVE N HUGS, XOXO UR GRANNY

Linda said...

That's awesome!!! Way to go Emily! :)
Love, Linda