Sunday, December 9, 2012

Let Us Entertain You

We have a great group of Mom's in my neighborhood. Most of us have been together for 5 years, but we've added to the group over the years and some of us have moved away. We get together at least once a month for coffee and gossip. We do Mom's nights out sometimes and gather for birthdays. We rely on each other when needed whether it's getting kids from school or cooking meals when someone is down and out. It takes a village, and we have a great village.

Mrs. Stacy teaches 4 of our girls piano. She thought it would be nice to go to an assited living facility and play piano, carol and read some scriptures to the residents. We did this last year with our drama group, so we were thrilled to be able to do it again.

Our whole family was going to go, but Noah came down with a drippy nose and cough (again). David stayed with him as we didn't want to get anybody there sick. Here are the girls waiting for the performance to start.
Photobucket
I put myself in charge of videos and pictures. So, I was taking video of each girl and taking a picture at the same time. I'm talented like that. Well, Emily's turn came up. I was so nervous for her because she had said she was nervous. I knew it wouldn't matter if she messed up, but I knew she'd be embarrassed. She sat down at her first baby grand piano and played Away in a Manger.

I think we both held our breath the entire performance and when she delivered her song perfectly, I realized I didn't take a picture too! Luckily with technology, I can take a still from the video and make it look good in instagram. Whew...
Photobucket
Hree's the whole group caroling.
Photobucket

I got Stacy playing the baby grand. She was in heaven!
Photobucket

We did the performance twice for two different groups of residents. Here's the second group. They were the ones with more mental issues.
Photobucket
This is Oval. She's 101 years old!
Photobucket
I told Ben later that she was around before TV, cars, telephones and computers. Most kids would be horrified at the thought. Ben, the old soul, replied, "wow...I wish I could've been there."

It was a really nice morning. My heart runneth over...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures and thoughts , Gina. I love Ben's response at the end. I bet he really would have done OK in those times who knows he may have been one of the people who went down in history for making a large contribution to our advancement. So glad Emily's piece went without incident. We are so happy she is doing well. It will be an ability she can keep for a long time. Maybe one day she will be sitting in one of those senior residences and she will remember her time as an entertainer for those older folks who don't have much time left in their lives. THANKS FOR SHARING! (YOUR CHILDREN WITH THOSE PEOPLE WHO MAY NOT HAVE ANYONE LEFT)♥
love,
G

Linda said...

This just makes me bawl and bawl here in my office this morning. Bless your heart (all of you) for doing this wonderful service for the residents of the home.

I have a most special place in my heart for this - I used to go with our Pastor and lead singing and visit with the residents. It's something that touches my heart greatly and sadly, many of the residents DO have children and grandchildren who don't often visit them. :(

Therefore, I believe that God gives special blessings upon anyone who is gracious to the elderly such as you and your family and your friends.

Everyone did wonderfully, but of course, Emily was fantastic and we're proud of her.

Love, Linda