Monday, January 3, 2011

Pinching Pennies In The New Year

Watching my grocery budget and using coupons is one of my main goals for this year. I did pretty well in December. We spent $328 on groceries and all household items (shampoo, diapers, laundry soap, etc). My goal is $10 a day, so I was over by $18. But, we did have company for 9 days, so it's all good. I'm not going to beat myself up if I don't or can't stick to the penny every month. It is what it is.

Emily started back to school today and Ben was supposed to, but the pipes froze and burst at his preschool church building. No water = no class. So, Ben had to come with Noah and I for our shopping trip this morning. At first he wasn't thrilled, but when he found out we could hit every bakery for a cookie he thought shopping was pretty cool.

We hit 4 stores today, crazy I know. But, I will go into a store to buy what's on sale and that's it. So, we went to CVS, Safeway, Albertsons and Fry's. It took us 1 hour and 45 minutes and that's with 2 kids and half the time I was holding Noah and pushing the cart with one hand. It's my workout for the day. I'm a multi-tasker.

I got everything in this picture for $32.86. The price would have been $171.17 without sales and coupons. 81% savings, not too shabby.

My best savings came from CVS. They rock when it comes to accepting coupons, unlike Walgreens who are coupon Nazi's. I got...
4 bottles of Excedrin (Excedrin is my favorite for headaches, but this should last me about 2 years)
3 boxes of NutriGran bars (which Ben and Noah will eat in about 2 weeks)
2 rolls of Christmas wrapping paper on clearance
1 bottle of Wisk detergent
All for $4.22. I saved 92% off the total. I did a happy dance all the way to the car. Also counts as another workout for the day. Win/win.

I've been couponing for 3 months now and I'm really noticing a difference in our checkbook. I can't wait to see what a difference I can make if I keep this up for an entire year. We could actually put money in savings. Heck with that, we'll go on a vacation!

3 comments:

Linda said...

Wow, pretty amazing!
I plan to use a few coupons in the new year, we'll see how it goes. I can't buy items that we're not going to use up within 2 weeks of grocery shopping, as there is simply no place to store things in our very small home. Also, we literally live in the middle of farmfields, and there are no great assortment of stores around, so our sources are very limited. Even still, it takes us normally a couple of hours every 2 weeks to do the grocery shopping.

Good for you though! :)

Holly and Bo said...

I'm chuckling a bit thinking about you prepping the food/items for that picture. I am impressed at the savings. I'm slowly getting to the point where I would like to attempt this because I've started realizing it drives me nuts to pay $1 for something when I know it's been on sale for $0.50.

Juli said...

Thanks for the link, Gina! Great to see your smiling face. It seems familiar, so maybe you've left a comment and I've clicked here before or ?? Anyway, nice looking family!

I was scrolling through your posts and couldn't help stop at this one. :) I love to see and hear about such great savings. I'm glad you find Bargain Believer useful and hope you are finding a good balance between bargains and those cute kids of yours!! :) It sounds like you are fast and have a good system down. $10 a day . . . great goal. Good luck!