Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Kids In Cardboard Houses...

...should color them!

My sister's family gave my kids a playhouse for Christmas. It was a Discovery Kids playhouse that is made out of cardboard. It sets up quickly and you can color or paint it and play in it. I had seen these at Costco awhile back. The kids thought they were awesome. I refused to pay $25 for a cardboard box.

I was wrong. This house is so much fun. We set it up just the other day and the kids are having a blast playing in it and coloring it.


Even Noah got into coloring.

And it's great for playing peek a boo through the windows.

This house is huge inside, about 4 feet tall.

It's been several days and the kids are still playing with it. But, I think I will pack it up and store it under Emily's bed. It's a perfect thing to take out on a rainy/cold day. Who knew a cardboard house could be so fun?

2 comments:

Linda said...

This totally brings back memories for me, because I made Sarah a cardboard house like this when she was around 2 years old. We had bought some kind of appliance, so it was a square appliance box and I raised the roof and made it just like a playhouse and cut out a door and window and then painted shutters, etc, and installed drapes inside the window. Somewhere there's a photo of her playing in this box - I'll have to find it and post it.

She played with it for many years, and then one time, when she and friend Alex were over and probably around Kindergarten age - his Mom and I were in the house chatting and then it dawned on us, that the kids were exceptionally quiet.... so we went to check on them, and they had gotten into paint in the garage and decided to repaint Sarah's cardboard house. Unfortunately, they got the paint on their clothes and I think Alex ruined a jacket that day, which his Mom wasn't too happy about - whoops. :P

Anyway - thanks for the memories. Looks like fun :)

Linda said...

... oh by the way, I forgot to mention - there's a really great old children's book about making things out of boxes - Christina Katerina and the Box by Patricia Lee Gauch. It was one of my favorite books and became a favorite of Sarah's as well. It's still attainable - on Amazon or other online bookfinders - used copies are pretty cheap. :)