Tuesday, December 8, 2009

My Dream Came True

That's what Ben said when he woke up and saw the snow.

We moved up here (only 100 miles north of Phoenix) to have 4 seasons. They are all very mild and I think it's perfect. The summer feels like summer, but we aren't dying in 115 degree heat. Emily's first word was hot for pete's sake. The winters are cold and we get a few snowfalls. Enough snow to have fun for a day, but not enough to be a nuisance.

In anticipation of the storm, the school notified us that they would be on a 2 hour delay today. Meaning, buses and school would all start 2 hours later. They still get out at the same time. If the storm was worse than expected, it would be a snow day. David thought this was hysterical. Being from Montreal, the snow could be over your roof and there wasn't a snow day. We desert folks just aren't as prepared for snow. I think any occasion to cancel school and go sledding is a good thing.

We didn't get the snow day, but we did get a few inches of snow which made for an exciting morning for all of us. The 2 hour delay was perfect. Emily got to enjoy the snow for almost an hour before I had to get her ready for the day.

They had a blast.


Ben asked, "Hey, why am I stopping?" It may have to do with the 6 inches of snow you just plowed with your legs.




They loved the "glass" that built up on the water drainage on the side of the house.


This is an accident waiting to happen.


Snowman are harder to build than one might think. Maybe if we had 2 feet of snow it wouldn't be so bad. This is the best we could do. Our snowblob.


Snow angels.


Ben ran around the yard making foot prints.


An hour is good. They were plum tuckered out!


I was left with this to clean up and dry.


Noah woke up right as we were going outside. It was time for him to eat. I know you are never supposed to prop a bottle up for a kid. But Mama is only 1 person and I wanted to play with my kids in the snow and help them build a blob.


We all came in and Emily was getting dressed when she told me, "I love the cold. I wish I could go out there naked". She gets that from her Dad. Not that he goes out in the snow naked, but he likes the cold!

Emily was trying to calm a fussy Noah. I think he was mad that we went out and had fun without him. He decided to let Emily know that he meant business and would not be happy being left out again.


It was a wonderful morning, which would've only been better if David could've been here to enjoy it with us. The snow is already melting, but we may get more this weekend.

If our dreams come true.

6 comments:

Linda said...

I loved this. :D

First of all, the photos are great as always and I enjoy your stories.

Secondly, you officially have had MORE snow than us here in the north - We have NONE. Our dusting yesterday, melted.

And yes, I think it's hysterical as well when schools close for a couple of inches, but I realize it's a different world in the south. We've had huge storms upwards of 8 inches and school still goes on.

Well, enjoy it while it lasts and I hope your dreams come true again soon. ♥

brownymama said...

hahahaha! You had a happier morning than I did. I wasn't prepared for the snow. Don't know where the box of snow boots and bibs went. We probably would have had a better morning with the right gear. (: Looks like you had fun. I loved the post about being one momma and playing with the other 2. The older ones will remember you playing with them. The baby will have no idea about the occassional propped bottle. (:

So, Koby's class was missing 6 kids today. Billy's class was missing 15!!! Why did I even bother sending them to school??

brownymama said...

Okay, just read your comment. I found my smile at the bottom of hot chocolate. Combined with a game of scrabble and the movie Home Alone. (; Better late than never, right?

Anonymous said...

Oh Gina, it looks like you all had so much fun. Not bad considering you only had an hour to accomplish all that.(You did pictures too)☼
I know the kids had a great time and the fact that it doesn't snow all the time makes it so much more special. Thanks for sharing.
Oh yes, It is great that Noah is now able to drink his bottle that way. The little man is growing up so much just in the past 2 weeks or so...
Love,
G.

Amy said...

You had school cancelled for that? Ha Ha HA!!! I think it's because they realize that people don't know how to drive in it!

pam said...

What a fun way to start the day! Loved your blob!