Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A Misunderstanding

I was going about my day yesterday. It was really busy. It went something like this.

4:00 AM (yes AM!) Emily comes in the room. Coughing so bad she is vomiting in her mouth. David goes to give her medicine and sleep with her.
4:30 Ben comes in my bed. Bad dream.
5:30 Noah wakes up to eat.
6:15 Go back to sleep.
6:45 Noah wakes up again. Shove pacifier in and hope he goes back to sleep.
7:30 No such luck. David put Noah under his playgym. Now he has to go to work.
7:35 Drink coffee...lots and lots of coffee
7:45 Start Noah's breathing treatment. Takes 45 minutes.
8:30 Emily is going to the doctor for her cough instead of going to school. Make Dr. appt.
8:31 Emily wakes up, get her coffee and put on Shrek the Halls for her.
8:32 Feed Noah.
9:00 Ben wakes up.
9:01 Get Ben coffee, put on Max & Ruby while carrying Noah around and feeding him.
You get the idea...this is my day. It's busy and crazy and I'm exhausted within 3 minutes of waking up.

I was determined to get the bathrooms cleaned today. David was coming home at 2:15 to take Emily to the Doctor. I wanted the house to be picked up. It's this illusion that I like him to think I have everything under control. So, I told the kids several times to pick up the living room. They did. I cleaned my bathroom and by the time I walked out all of the pillows from the sofa were on the floor. Emily immediately says that she didn't do it and points down the hall towards Ben. I stomp down the hallway.

Me: "Benjamin David, you need to clean that mess up!"

I find Ben sitting on the toilet.

Ben: with tears pooling in his eyes "I'm sorry Mommy. Do you forgive me?"
Me: melting "Of course I forgive you baby. It's not a big deal."

We exchange big hugs and I feel his sweet little hands wrap around my neck.

Ben: "I didn't mean to poop on the floor, but I picked it up."

Eeeerrrrr?? I don't think we are talking about the same thing.

Me: "You did what?"
Ben: "I pooped right there (pointing to the rug), but I picked it up and put it in the toilet."

Quickly taking his hand away from my neck.

Me: "What did you pick it up with?" Hoping he'd say toilet paper.

He didn't need to answer. I could see his right hand had a stain on it.

Next on my to do list: SHOWER!

4 comments:

brownymama said...

Hahaha. Sorry. I shouldn't laugh. Anna came home from school today with the runs. Her poor teacher. I only laugh to keep us all sane. But really... that was a good one, Ben.

Linda said...

Oh my!! What a time you're having. :D I don't know quite what to write, as those days are so long ago now for me. So, I'll just write this "Just wait for the teenage years..." LOL ♥

Anonymous said...

Gina, I have to admit, I was laughing out loud while reading this one! Gotta' love that Ben, he's such a little character! You will look back on these super busy, hectic days and cherish the memories. Children grow up in a blink of an eye and you'll long for the days when they climbed in your bed to snuggle at 4am, even if they were puking! :)
Kathi

Anonymous said...

What is it they say "Grin and bear it"? I love that you can still have a sense of humor throughout all these hectic days of your life.
On another note hope Emi is OK. I wanted to call last night but sleep got in my way. :)
Hope today is a better one, but with a few laughs thrown in for good measure. ☼
Love,
G.