Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Every Other Virus

We don't normally get vaccinated for the flu and since we've been a family, none of us has ever gotten it. This year with a preemie in the house, I knew we needed to err on the side of caution. Emily seems to bring home every germ in her school. It wasn't that bad in preschool, but she only went 7 hours a week. Now she goes 7 hours a day. A lot more time to be exposed. And exposed we've been.

Everything starts with Emily. Then a few days later, Ben gets it. Then me. Then Noah. Then David will either not get it or get a very mild version of what we all had. We started the fall off with a banging cold. Followed by some virus that Emily brought home. She was swabbed for the flu's and it wasn't any of them. Then we all caught a cold again. Now, we seem to be passing around another virus. We might not get the seasonal flu or swine flu, but we are certainly getting every other virus out there.

Nights are particularly rough. I read somewhere that being cuddled by a parent is sometimes better than medicine in making a child feel better. Which is why Ben has asked me to lay down with him all morning and refuses to take Tylenol. We've been letting the kids sleep with us this week since they are sick. Emily always picks her Dad and Ben always picks me. I'm Emily's second (and last) choice once David goes to work. I got up to feed Noah at 6:45 and this is what I found in my bed when I got back.


There was hardly any room for me. Even the cat has a spot. We need a 20 foot bed. I squeezed in to get a little more shut eye after I put Noah back to sleep. That lasted 40 minutes and then I was greeted by this.


They look entirely too happy.


All I was thinking is that I hope David made me enough coffee to get me through the day.

I let Emily stay home again today because she is getting 1 fever a day and the rule is 24 hours with no fever. She came home from school on Monday with a 103 degree temperature. She said her head hurt all day. When I asked her why she didn't go to the nurse. She said she was too shy to ask her teacher. Great, infect your entire class because you are shy.

At first, I thought that everyone was better and we were going to head to Costco. Then, Ben quickly relapsed and he was doing this.


Poor little man. I think Emily is fine. Let's just hope she doesn't get the 2 P.M. daily fever again. I don't think I can take another day of this.

On a happier note, look who has my eyelashes.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I'm so sorry this is happening!! All the more sad when it happens during the holiday season.

Hope everyone will be totally well soon! Those pictures are the greatest!

Odd thing is in our house, Sarah never (or rarely ever) got sick, even in the little grades. She has horrible allergies. Seems like her immune system would allow for much sickness, but it was never the case and she had perfect attendance year after year.

I wonder why it works like that - just different immunity I guess. Being that she had to suffer through much with the plaque dermatitis and ezcema, I guess it was only fair that she rarely ever get sick.

I, on the other hand, seemed to catch everything during my teen years - I had strep off and on, bronchitis every year, pneumonia.

Just goes to show how different everyone is.

Sorry to ramble, hope you'll all be well, especially in time for Christmas. ♥

Anonymous said...

Sad to hear that Ben caught the bug from Emily and before you know it little Noah will be next in line... Maybe he'll have Super Powers and be able to fight it off. Tell Noah that Grammie caught his cough.. It seems to be a cold kind of cough , just hasn't quite developed into the cold yet. BTW how is Noah's cough? Did you go back to the Dr. for that?
Glad to see you still have your wits about you and that your sense of humor prevails. ♥ Oh yes, love the eyelashes....
Love,
G.