Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Off To Surgery...

Ben had his appointment today in Phoenix with a Pediatric Urologist. If you missed the earlier post, you can read about it here. Basically, he's had a little hernia since birth. It's so small and sometimes not even swollen, but the doctor told us if left untreated it could be a major problem later. The opening that is allowing fluid in will get bigger and bigger with time. So, we are doing it and getting it over with.

It's a simple in and out procedure that lasts about 30 minutes with less than an inch incision. By the end of the day, he should be running around oblivious to what has happened. I'm not worried really except that they do put him under. Obviously on a 32 pound kid, that's always a bit scary. The appointment isn't set yet, but will probably be in April.

Meanwhile, we made the 90 minute drive from Prescott to Phoenix and stopped at Chick-fil-a for lunch. One of my all time favorite fast food places. They had an indoor play area for the kids. We had a nice lunch and they kids went off to play. David and I sat in there and watched. We were the only parents watching. Where were all the parents? Eating, drinking, talking, taking care of newborns...

Until a fight broke out. Not with my kids thankfully, but these 3 boys were getting rough with each other. David and I actually thought they knew each other as it seemed several Mom groups met there. I was looking around for the parents. Is this how these kids play? Then, the rough hitting turned into a few smacks and one boy bit the other. Mind you the one who got bit was the one starting everything. He went out crying to his Mommy. Who was so irate she called her lawyer!!! What? David and I were stunned. We immediately came to the biters defense. True, he shouldn't bite, but those two other kids were not being nice. The Defendant took our name and number in case we need to be called as a witness and the Plaintiff was was still on the phone with her lawyer when we left. I just couldn't believe it.

Can't we make our boys sit down, apologize to each other for their rotten behavior and be punished appropriately by not getting to play and not getting the ice cream cone that was promised. Or better yet, how about a good smack on their rear?

What happened to the good ol' days?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's some adventure! You'll have to fill me in on the appointment when I see you. Glad you got to have your chicken, with drama - on the side, of course.

Lindsay said...

Sweet Ben!!! I am glad the appt went well and that you know the road to take that will be best for Ben. He will be in our prayers for sure!!! You too as mom and dad!!! Keep us posted!

As for the fight. Holy cow! Calling the lawyer!? Seriously! That family is in for it if they choose to live life like that! And hello - mom. Maybe she should be sued for neglecting to properly watch her child!!! (of course we al have those moments we don't watch, but seriously that is rediculous!) You must have been so shocked! So thankful you didn't call the cops or the lawyer when Andrew dug his nails in Ben. :( I still get sad when I think of that.

Anonymous said...

I am happy to hear that all went smoothly with Ben. Poor Grampie Enrique was going nuts yesterday worrying about the pain and suffering of his little Bengino. He says he wishes he could take the pain for him. Ha! what ever that means. I know it will be worrisome for our little man to have the surgery, But you make me believe he will be fine.
As to the other event of the day, I suppose the parents are suing for "tremendous suffering" or maybe the little boy has been "scarred for life".How ridiculous. Of course no one likes their child to be injured or hurt, but like you mentioned where was the parent when the whole incident began? Let's hope Ben and Emily are more sensible and know how to behave . I'm sure they have their share of scraps and receive a "just reward"!
It sounds for the most part your day was a success. :)
Love,
G

Linda said...

Glad the appointment went well and hope that everything continues to go smoothly with sweet Ben. :)

That's terrible about the fight and those parents. I don't get it at all, other than there are some real low lifes out there. I see it all the time. But then I see some really wonderful parents doing a great job.

Honestly, I'm so glad to be done with the years of the playground, but then again, there are always all sorts of new issues to deal with. ;-)