Thursday, March 5, 2009

Simple Needs

Emily has been battling a cold all week. I thought she was getting better, but she woke up today whining. She had her morning cup of coffee and was laying on the sofa watching Toy Story.

My babysitting gig got cancelled. I was on the computer playing Scrabble and drinking my morning cup of coffee.

I went to check on the kids and Emily was laying on her side looking rather pathetic.

I asked her if she wanted something to eat.
She shook her head no.

I asked if she wanted some juice.
She shook her head no.

I asked her if she needed anything.
She pointed to me.

I let my coffee get cold, put my Scrabble games on hold and left the dirty dishes in the sink.

I sat on the sofa while she rested on my lap and rubbed her head. She just closed her eyes and relaxed. And if only for a few moments, I was all that she needed to feel better.

6 comments:

Linda said...

This is wonderful and so true.

You might be interested in my blog tomorrow - it's mainly about Mothers and Daughters and how, as parents, our kids are always "our kids" even when they're grown. Stay tuned... ;-)

Anonymous said...

Ok, you have a good excuse for not starting a new scrabble game. That means I'm going to!! I hope Em feels better.

Amy said...

Oh a good snuggle is way more important to them than anything! I have to remind myself of that all the time...they really don't care what I'm in the middle of, a snuggle is their top priority! Hope Emily feels better!

Linda said...

Yes, because as the Mom of a Teen, there comes a day all too soon, where there's no way they want to snuggle or cuddle. I can't remember the last time my Sarah wanted to cuddle but it's been a very long time ago now. I have to literally steal a hug and she's squirming the entire time.

Anonymous said...

I'm coping and pasting a recent email but it sort of goes with your blog..

I've learned.... That the best
classroom in the world is at the feet
of an elderly person.

I've learned.... That when you're in love, it shows..

I've learned.... That just one person saying to me, 'You've made my day!' makes my day.

I've learned.... That having a child fall asleep in your arms is one of the most peaceful feelings in the world.

I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being right.

I've learned.... That you should never say no to a gift from a child.
I've learned.... That I can always pray for someone when I don't have the strength to help him in some other way.
I've learned.... That no matter how serious your life requires you to be, everyone needs a friend to act goofy with.
I've learned.... That sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand.
I've learned.... That simple walks with my father around the block on summer nights when I was a child did wonders for me as an adult.
I've learned.... That life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.

I've learned.... That we should be glad God doesn't give us everything we ask for.

I've learned.... That money doesn't buy class.

I've learned.... That it's those small daily happenings that make life so spectacular.

I've learned... That under everyone's hard shell is someone who wants to be appreciated and loved.

I've learned..... That to ignore the facts does not change the facts.

I 've learned.... That when you plan to get even with someone, you are only letting that person continue to hurt you.
I've learned..... That love, not time, heals all wounds.
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
I've learned... That everyone you meet deserves to be greeted with a smile.

I've learned..... That no one is perfect until you fall in love with them.
I've learned... That life is tough, but I'm tougher.
I've learned.... That opportunities are never lost, someone will take the ones you miss.

I've learned.... That when you harbor bitterness, happiness will dock elsewhere.

I've learned.... That I wish I could have told my Mom that I love her one more time before she passed away.

I've learned.... That one should keep his words both soft and tender, because tomorrow he may have to eat them.

I've learned.... That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

I've learned.... That when your newly born grandchild holds your little finger in his little fist, that you're hooked for life.

I've learned.... That everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it.

I've learned.... That the less time I have to work with, the more things I get done.

Anonymous said...

Aaahhh that brought a tear to my eye! You are a fantastic mom, Gina!