Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Wish Granted

David's sister, husband and new baby Rachel are coming on Thursday for 5 days. This means I have a time frame on getting the house cleaned.

Normally, I'll do one bathroom one day, the next one a week later and the third bathroom will only get done by the time the first bathroom needs cleaned again. It's a vicious cycle and I seriously wonder why we bought a house with 3 bathrooms. There are only 4 of us (well almost 5) what are the odds that we will all need in a bathroom at the same time? I'm sure I will understand and appreciate the need for 3 bathrooms when the kids are teenagers. Until then, I will think about cleaning them for weeks until I finally break down and do it.

For the most part, our house is clean enough. Sure, something could always be dusted or scrubbed and the kids have toys everywhere, but I wouldn't be overly humiliated if somebody stopped by unannounced.

Today, I started the cleaning in preparation for our company. I'm tackling all 3 bathrooms. I'm feeling crazy. I'm shining the mirrors up and wondering how toothpaste got all the up there when a thought crosses my mind. A maid. Now, we don't have the financial means right now, but I let the thought run through my mind anyway and the mere idea of it was making me happy.

Emily breaks my bliss and asks what she can do to "help". This essentially means she makes a mess and I have one more thing to clean up. But, I know I need to teach her how to do this stuff if I ever expect her to do it one day. I arm her with her own bottle of enviro friendly vinegar and water and a towel and she goes to town cleaning the tile. I don't have the heart to tell her there's about 1500 square feet of that stuff and she better move quicker.

Here's a little side story...
***I'm in the laundry room about a year ago. Using an entire bottle of spray and wash on the million stains my kids get on their clothes. I thought Emily and Ben were watching TV. In walks Ben. He's soaking wet. His hair, face, eyelashes, everything is wet. Huh? Then, Emily walks in with the empty bottle of vinegar and water solution and says, "Mommy, I need more stuff to clean Ben." Thank God it was only vinegar and we only had to deal with him smelling like an Easter egg for a few days..***

Back to today's cleaning...
Emily and I are cleaning bathroom number 3 when she pops out with a declaration. She said, "Mommy, when I get older, I will do all the chores and clean the entire house." I gasped. I have my maid!!! Well, maybe in 5 more years, and maybe just a helper but it's something and I'll take it.

I had her sign a document just in case she ever forgets that she made this promise.


I doubt it will hold up in court.

5 comments:

Amy said...

This is so funny! I was just telling my mom today that I was gearing up to clean for her arrival in 3 weeks. She said "gearing up to clean?" She's old school and just doesn't understand. I decided to price out merry maids. If I had 2 maids for 4 hours, it would be $400. So instead, I'm going to make a game out of it: If I can clean the whole house (4 levels-4 bathrooms)in 8 hours, I will go and buy myself something fabulous and save at least 3/4 of the cost of having someone else clean my house. Hey, I have to get motivated somehow!

Anonymous said...

It looks like a perfectly legitimate contract to me. I think it will come in handy in a few years!

Linda said...

This is hilarious!! :-)

I should have had Sarah sign something like this when she was Emily's age... but then again, Sarah never made an offer like this. I consider it a major victory when she picks up her room without me nagging.

We have 2 full Bathrooms and I know what you mean, though I greatly appreciate having 2. It always seems like I'm the only one who notices that they're dirty.

Funny how that works...

Hope you have a wonderful visit! :)

Anonymous said...

be happy you do have more than one bathroom. We have only one, and its VERY small. Theres only room to take about 4 to 5 steps and youve reached the shower at the end of the bathroom. Everyone fights over who has to go to the bathroom the worst in order to go first and who is taking too long etc. I think we all would like a bigger house soon and the first thing my girls asked for, was a second bathroom. That goes on the top of the list!
HUGS
Julie S.

I teach . . . said...
This comment has been removed by the author.