Last year was our first time planting a garden. We learned a lot and still have lots to learn.
We planted a lot of vegetable plants. At $3.99 each, this got expensive quick. Plus, over half of the established plants that we bought either died or didn't produce anything. We also planted a few packs of seeds and had way more success with those, lots of plants and lots of vegetables for a lot cheaper.
This year, we decided to start with seeds. We bought a cheap greenhouse and Emily and I planted some of the seeds yesterday. The plan is we will transplant our little plants in a month and also plant more seeds. This way, we will have plants at different stages instead of getting 50 zucchini in one month.
I'm amazed at how fun Emily thinks this is. She loved counting out 3 seeds for each hole. She woke up today and went over to see if anything grew overnight. I can't wait for the first plants to sprout. She will be so excited.
We are planting a lot of the same veggies as last year and a few new ones. There are a few like corn and onions that never produced last year, so we are not doing those again. Others, like carrots are just cheaper to buy at the store, so we are not doing those either. We have watermelon, zucchini, yellow squash, cilantro, basil, bell peppers, green beans, cucumbers, lettuce, cherry tomatoes and large yellow tomatoes. Our parsley and strawberry plants from last year survived the winter and are turning green again. We will also plant some pumpkin seeds in a few months, unless they spontaneously grow again.
By the way Grammie, Emily found one of your Diet Mountain Dews leftover from Thanksgiving and HAD to have it. You'll also notice David in the sandbox. He was sifting out the rocks and a few cat poops that accumulated over the winter.
We are ready for Spring!
4 comments:
Will you come be my garden tutor? Pretty please?? I can't wait to have a garden, but I do not have a green thumb!
Check out my friends blog. She's on my page under "Denver Friends" Twila Warner. Her writing reminds me on NieNie and her latest post also made me think of you! She's got a bun in the oven too!
Oh it already looks like springtime at your place. I saw the Mtn Dew can in the background and wondered who was into the Dew! I should have known it was my gal Emi. I hope she loved it and didn't get too hyper as a result. at least it doesn't have sugar. :)
Hoping for lots of news on the plantings this year.
I loved this story!
And guess what? There's a Frog & Toad story that goes right along with this garden tale. Toad decides to plant a garden, he waters it, and checks it the very next morning to see if the seeds have sprouted. It's a delightful story: http://www.amazon.com/Frog-Toad-Together-Read-Book/dp/0064440214
I hope you have a very successful garden! I'm not so sure that I'm going to attempt all of the vegetables again - once the bugs start here, it's a constant battle. I have a little time yet to think on it, since we can't plant outside until the beginning of May.
We will soon need a lesson in gardening from you! I'm scared to death to try this! I DO NOT have a green thumb............
Post a Comment