I sometimes think this working stuff is for the birds. A few weeks ago, the kids and David all had MLK day off. I had to work 8 hours. Shocker. They went for a hike at our favorite spot and to Chickfila. I was happy that they got out and did something, but I was totally bummed I couldn't be there with them. I remember all the times it would be a glorious day and I'd send David pics of me and the kids at the park while he was stuck in the office. It's the cycle of life I guess. This is just the season we are in right now.
Noah told David to take this photo to send to me. He thought I'd like it. He was right.
Pretty much every weekend I'm working 8 hour shifts and I might have an hour or two in the morning or a few hours at night, but the entire day/night is gone with work. This past weekend, I didn't have to leave until 1:00! I was so excited that we headed to the park on our bikes to play some basketball. We played Horse and wouldn't you know it, Ben won! Emily was gone at a winter guard competition in Phoenix. She's pretty much gone every Saturday for most the day at competitions.
The boys have become obsessed with a Rubik's cube. Well, Ben solved it and then Noah became obsessed and had to solve it. In case you didn't know, it's really all algorithms and if you figure those out, anyone can solve it, which they both did. Then, Noah did another 20 times just to make sure he got it down. It's pretty impressive. We used to peel off the stickers as kids and try to put them back on, so everyone would think we did it. Now, you know the algorithms or just get the app where you put in what your colors are and it shows you how to do it. Lame.
Ben finally won a cinnamon roll at school! Every Friday, they do a drawing for perfect attendance and 4 kids win these huge cinnamon rolls from a local restaraunt. He finally won, so he was on their Facebook page.
And if you've never heard of this app, it's called Life 360. It's free and private. You have to send a text to someone and they can join your group. So, basically, you can tell where your kids are at all times. It's awesome. This was Emily yesterday after school. So, I texted her and said, you went to Starbucks? Who took you? It was our friends Mom. Then, I went into our Starbucks app and could tell she just ordered a grande caramel frappucino. Man, there are no secrets anymore. It's not like the times when I was a kid and my best friend Liz and I would ride our bikes to Circle K to buy candy (with money we stole from her brothers room) and our parents never found out. Now, when her friend gives her a ride to flag practice after school, I can tell how fast her friend is going and if they made any other stops. Technology is awesome for parents, maybe not so much for teenagers.
Ben got pick to help with the induction of the new NJHS kids at school. He said he had to be there, but we had no idea he had a speaking roll. The thing I noticed most when he got up is his voice is so deep compared to the other boys.
He had to recite a few sentences about Character, which was a great subject for Ben to speak about. We were so worried about him lighting the candle at the end, but he got it. Eventually.
Ben also had future freshman night at the high school. David took him because, shocker, I was working. Ben used to say that high school seemed scary because it was so big. I think he's getting used to it now and he said he's not scared anymore. We always tell him he's ready for bigger and better things. It's time for him to move on from Jr. High (well, in 4 months).
One of our new favorite things to do are puzzles! We typically have one going on a table and just kind of work on it here and there throughout a few weeks. It's fun and nice to have something that we can work on together. I put the final piece on this cat one today!
And we woke up to a two hour snow delay today! That means that David has to get to work, and I have to take the kids to school. It's really not a ton of snow, but the problem is the buses have to make it out to rural areas that aren't paved and they don't want them attempting that and kids out in the ice/cold at 7. We always enjoy the lazy morning and the snow is so pretty.
Then, Noah has to walk to the bus stop by himself. I usually walk with him or we drive if it's super cold out. Today, we would've drove. I told him that I saw sasquatch prints leaving our house.
That's about it for us!







3 comments:
Wow, so much going on in ur Family..David, is so helpful for
You Gina n your kids..n Everyone..
Gigi,sorry about all the hours you
Are working..but u always do what is
Needed..I'm very Happy you can find the
Kids wherever they are..that is so cool.
Ben n Noah..yeah Rubik cube Champs..
Proud of Ben n his Honors.Emily is so
Awesome at waving her Flag.:)Love Mom
Gina, so happy you posted this blog. I have been worried that with all those working hours in your life nowadays you might not have a spare second to recount the blessings of our lives as often as you have been able to before. So happy you haven't given it up yet. Even though I get to see the kids more often I sometimes don't know all the little important things going on. I love that I was finally able to see and hear Ben's character speech. He did a great job and it was a great topic for him to speak on . A great role model for others for sure.
Thank you for keeping us up to date.Looking forward to the next chapter in your lives.
Love,
G.
It's nice to read your update. I don't know about all that working... it seems like too much. Kids are only young once and then they're grown up and gone. Just my two cents. I did work too of course, but somehow I managed a job where I could basically make my own schedule and I was always off for everything; I wouldn't have had it any other way. Hopefully things will slow down for you in this capacity.
We too had snow overnight - only our 2nd or 3rd little snow of the season and it will be all melted by next week again when the temps warm back up. It sure is a pretty snow this time though - Winter Storm Mabel here (and Mable was my Mom's first name though she never used it).
Your kids are so smart. Jim said that he could never solve the cube and neither could I but if that involves some sort of mathematical thinking leave me out - I suck at that in all ways. :) Seriously.
Loved all the photos. Everyone is growing up.
Love, Linda
Post a Comment