For her birthday, David wanted to get her a nicer pair of earrings. She picked out a ladybug pair in Kohl's and while David took her to the bathroom, I bought them without her knowing. She got them on her birthday and loved them.
I took out the earrings she had been wearing for almost a year straight and they were a little crusty in back with build up. We let her ears breathe for a few days and I put in the lady bugs last week.
She mentioned a few times that they hurt. I didn't think much of it. I just thought she needed to get used to wearing a bigger stud earring. Then last night after her bath, she got some hair caught in it. While I was getting it out, I noticed that the backs of her ears were raw.
.jpg)
This was her first set of 14K gold earrings. She had another gold pair that my Dad and Suzy had gotten her in Italy (which she lost one), but I had put different backs on that pair. The front of her ear looked fine. The back obviously did not. It looks the same on both ears too.
Can she be allergic to gold? Emily thinks it's great that she is allergic to something. I guess with so many kids allergic these days, she wants to feel cool. So, this morning she asked me, "so what happens if I eat gold?"
Ah sweetie if we had enough gold to eat, we would be living on the beach in the Caribbean.
2 comments:
Sarah says that she is allergic to gold and so she doesn't wear it, but the backs of her ears are even far, far worse - built up with heavy dermatitis/ezcema and she has several plaque spots still of the same. For us, it's a toss up, because she has various allergies and should never consume eggs or milk either, but she does anyway and just tolerates the skin conditions.
Interesting isn't it - all of these allergies and how they're unique? :)
You might consider replacing the backs with stainless steel posts and backs, so she can continue to wear the earrings she likes without any reaction. Your local jeweler could help and depending on how it's made, it may be a do it yourself project.
Good luck!
Post a Comment