Tuesday, August 29, 2017

13

My girl turns 13 tomorrow.  13!!!!  How did that happen?

The other day in church, I was supposed to be paying attention and wasn't. Well, I was...until the Pastor starting talking about taking his daughter to college 100 miles away. Then, I started thinking I only have 5 years with Emily.  What?  Then, my eyes filled up with tears and I had no clue what he was talking about anymore. I was spiraling down a rabbit hole of how I can only have 5 years left with my girl at home?  NOOOOO!!!  

I like my kids at this age. They are fun and still like David and I. I wish I could freeze time right here because this is my favorite time. I pray that I'll make that same statement next year and the year after and the year after.  I guess that's what life is all about, finding the sweet spots and enjoying the days we have.  Living in the present.  Oh yeah, that's what the Pastors talk was about!!!  See, I was paying attention.

Anyway, this past weekend, she had a traveling birthday party with the Fab 4 as we call them. Emily is a grade higher than the other 3 girls, but they are all going to the same Jr. High this year and I think they are loving it!  

First up for the traveling party...Steph (Alissa's Mom) took them to Olive Garden.  


The got their own table and a free dessert!  The zeppoli's from Olive Garden are SO good.  





Then, Steph brought them all over here.  They tie-dyed shirts and had a sleepover.


We made them waffles, bacon, sausage and peaches for breakfast!  Everyone must eat peaches if they come to our house!  :)

Their shirts all turned out cute!

Then, Dakri picked them up and they headed out shopping.


These girls all love Ross, which I love because it doesn't break the bank!



Em got a super cute backpack purse and some shirts.






























.
Here they are in the dressing room trying on their new clothes.

Then, they went to Starbucks for cake pops and Frappuccinos!


It was a super fun 24 hours!  And tomorrow, we'll celebrate my girl turning 13. I remember her birth so vividly. Actually, I think I was in shock most the time. Like, holy moly, I'm going to be a mother. How did that happen?  But, she was born at night and came out bright eyed and curious.  After 13 years, when the sun goes down, she's still bright eyed and curious. Some things never change.  And, I'm so thankful for that. 


5 comments:

Piper AndTheKids said...

Happy Birthday, Emily!!

Linda said...

Happy 13th Birthday to sweet, beautiful, talented Emily! ♥
I hope she enjoys a wonderful day and a great year of being 13! :)

Loved reading your post and seeing the photos, as always. They are all such pretty young ladies and it's great that they are such good friends.

Living in the present. That's the best. I mean, look at me Gina, my girl has been out on her own now since about a month or so and while I was extremely sad for about the first week, I'm good with it. It seems normal now, because it is normal. Thankfully though she's not 100 miles away, but just on the other side of Champaign which isn't far at all. She was home last night doing laundry (they don't have laundry in their unit) and hanging out with Jim and I watching the Cubs game, and we still get together for dinner at least once a week, so somehow it's all good and I'm excited for this time of life. It's actually a very "freeing" time of life where I feel like outside of my parents - I have little responsibility and I like that (I NEED that actually considering what our Mom goes through on a regular basis). So, somehow it all works out just as it should and I would have never wanted to stay with our kids in childhood because while there was tons of fun in that, there was also a lot of stress and worry.

Anyways, onward in the present. :)
Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily, Happy 13th Birthday ur such a Sweetheart!!!.. Just always remember, that you n your brothers are everything to your Father n Mother, you 3 Kids are the Apples of their Eyes..Always Love and Cherish them, as they Love and Cherish their 3 precious Children..:) may God be with you All, and protect and keep you Safe...looks like the FAB 4..had a Fun time at ur party..you all look so Cute n Adorable..I'm thinking ur Mom is making ur favorite birthday dinner,, Roast Beef, Mashed potatos n green beans..YUMMY..Have an Awesome B-Day Emily..I Love u n I'm so Proud of You...ur Granny :)

Anonymous said...

...and Granny Sharon, don't forget the pumpkin roll for her cake...
Gina, thanks so much for all the pics and explanation of one of the traditions for Emily and her good friends. She is certainly one special new teenager and I hope this will be a happy time for her in her life.
Love,
G

Anonymous said...

Lol..oh yes Ginas awesome pumpkin
Roll..so good.. well I kinda thought that was Bens favorite..so I left the cake part out..ummm..I do know Ben likes His B-day dinner to be Pasta..n Noah..umm Steak..so Em it's pumpkin roll tonight..Thanks Gwynne..:) Hugs Sharon