Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Parenting

There are times I feel like I'm failing as a parent. I know everyone feels like that, but sometimes, I just wonder why on Earth I was given the responsibility to parent three children.

Like when we are in the middle of the Pacific ocean cruising to a tropical location and two of my kids are acting like absolute brats fighting with each other.  Like when one kid had a fit because their one gift at Christmas wasn't as good as the three another sibling got. Like when I have mountains of laundry, dirty dishes in the sink, a full dishwasher, poop on the side of the toilet and not one kid will offer to lend me a hand. That would require putting down their electronic device and noticing what is going on around them, and let's face it, most kids are oblivious to that.  Heck, most parents are!

Then, there are moments when I feel like I'm nailing it and everything will be okay.

Emily got all A's on her report card.  They only do semester assemblies, so we don't go to one for her again until the end of the year. But, we are so proud of her. All of her academic classes are honors courses and she's really stepped up and has excelled.

Noah got mostly O's and a couple of S's. They don't start letter grades until 3rd grade, but he's come leaps and bounds in his reading this year. He started the year still reading little picture type books, and over Spring Break he read Diary of a Wimpy Kid!  That's a huge jump in 6 months!  They also don't do assemblies for Noah until 3rd grade.

Ben had his assembly yesterday. He was called up so many times, he should've just sat on the stage.

Here he is for Principal's List (all A's). There were only 7 kids in all of 5th grade to get all A's!

Here he is being called up for Perfect Attendance.  He hasn't missed a day or been late all year. This makes 2 years in a row as he had perfect attendance in 4th grade too.


They acknowledged the kids from Honors that did the Wright Flight program.


And he also got Student of the Quarter:



And prior to the assembly his teacher came over to David and I and said how impressed she was with Ben's recent essay on Robert Frost's The Road Not Taken. She said his deep thinking and writing should be published!  Last week when Ben wrote it, I asked David to look it over for punctuation. David read it and asked if I helped Ben write it, nope, not a word. The only thing I did was suggest he make paragraphs since he had it as one giant paragraph. But, the words were all Ben's.  Honestly, I couldn't help him if I wanted, Ben's already surpassed me in his writing skills. 

I'm going to copy it here, just so we have it always.
Here's the actual poem if you are not familiar with it:
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

And here is Ben's essay:  
The Road Less Traveled Theory
By Ben Galeana

In this poem, I don't think that the man is a traveler or that he's in the woods. Instead, I think that he is struggling to make a difficult decision. Something I noticed he says, in the very first line, is the two paths are diverged in a yellow wood. I “Googled” it and it said that yellow is a non-tolerable color if you are going through a lot of change. The narrator in this poem, alias Robert Frost, seemed rather depressed for the duration of this poem.

This could mean that he is going through a ton of change. However, it says nothing about the grass being yellow, so I will just assume that the grass is green. Green resembles ambition and greed. But remember, this isn't actually grass and the man is not in a forest. The colors are not there, but the colors' meanings are what his choices include.

His two choices, which represent the paths, are either: one, taking the long and hard way; or two, taking the easy way. The poem was written in 1920, just nine years away from World War I. The number nine resembles pain and long lasting, just like the first world war. The great depression also took place during World-War I!

The great depression was at a time when earning money was very, very difficult. So, if this poem takes place during the great depression, then I may have his choices figured out. The short and simple path is stealing money since the narrator is very poor. The long and hard path is him not giving up and still looking for more civilized ways to receive money. This would also explain why he says, “Oh, I kept the first for another day!” It means that he has been doing the long and hard path, but it just isn't working out for him.

And finally, the last stanza will be explained. I say that it represents what would happen if he took the simple choice or the hard choice. Him saying, “ I shall be telling this with a sigh,” means that he decided to take the easy choice and stole, got arrested, and went to jail. However, saying, “ I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference,” means that he took the hard path and his life turned out for the better. However, even if he took the hard path, it didn't exactly end with a happy ending. You see, the narrator of the story, Robert Frost, died while serving our country in World War I.

Okay, so this is the timeline: World War I happens and the great depression begins. A man doesn't have a job and struggles to earn money. He has two choices. The first, do not give up and keep looking for a job, and the second, become a crook and steal cash. If he took the easy way, stealing, he'd be caught and look at this moment with a sigh. However, if he took the hard way, he'd soon fight in the army to get some money. He died doing this, but is now known as a military hero and has made a lasting impression... and that's made all the difference. 

Geez, maybe Ben should take over this blog!

3 comments:

Linda said...

Okay, I'm seriously crying after reading Ben's wonderful account of Robert Frost's famous poem. I seriously wanted to just pick up the phone and call you but I'm at work. I hope he pursues something to do with writing because he is so amazingly talented, not only for his age but at ANY age. Seriously!!! You know I write, but Ben - Ben is an accomplished writer!! There are so many things I love about it, but most of all, I am drawn to the fact that he researched his work (googled it - and then draws the connection between the time period of the war and the subject matter). He is so wonderfully intelligent.

Anyway - and of course, it's awesome that Emily is doing so great in her honors classes and Noah as well. I just couldn't get past the writing piece though - not to mention the great length of it! AWESOME.

Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

Oh my yes, some deep thinking going on in Ben's little head. ( but then we always suspected that was so) I guess this past week has mostly been devoted to pride in Ben week. He is an amazing child quickly turning into a brilliant young man. You and David as his parents have always been aware of his special gifts and you are both blessed to be his parents.Actually it is more like you were specially chosen to be his parents. Congrats to him and to you both for all the acknowledgements he has received this past week. ... and we are proud too. Enrique is beaming with pride at every opportunity he can in the past few days saying "you see he takes after me" (the farthest thing from the truth as possible)
Emily and Noah also deserve some words of praise but the set up has just not been there for them to receive all the accolades but we are equally proud of them and their accomplishments as well. Hoping and praying it continues for a lifetime of successful endeavors for all three of your babies.
Love,
G

Anonymous said...

Hi Gina n David, all parents go thru the ups n downs with their kids.no worry bout it. :) you 2 are above n beyond excellent amazing parents!!!
Your 3 kids know how superior their parents are n they love you both dearly..now,BRAVO-BRAVO-BRAVO-- TO my very special, smart, respectful, sweet,loving kind n might I say good looking Grand kids..Emily, Ben n Noah.I'm so proud of you as I am of your Mom n Dad..i Love you with all my Heart n Soul!! ��❤ Benjamin, you are a one Boy Wonder, One of a Kind..you really amaze me..you are a jack of all trades n master of everything..:) your essay is super fantastic..I really enjoyed it.. :) Gods Blessings to all mom/ granny. Xoxo