Friday, January 13, 2017

To Be, Or Not To Be...a Sloth

The first week back from a long vacation is so hard.  I don't like to get back in the swing of things and I find myself dragging.  Before I got out of bed this morning, I checked my phone and my Aunt Paula shared a video of a kitten and sloth napping.  I just want to be a sloth.  To make things worse, there are 131 days until summer vacation. What?  That's like FOREVER.  

I'll make the most out of those days, or I'll try to.  
Here's what went down this week.

Emily had her first assembly for academics.  She made Principal's List for the semester, which was no small feat.  She's in all honors classes and I think it was a huge adjustment for her.  But, she struggled and worked and she did it!  We are so proud of her.  She's in the back row in the pink jacket almost right in the middle.  


David got a new work phone and asked that I send him a new picture of myself so when I call, my face shows up.  I sent him this one.  I didn't even notice the punching bag stand coming out of my head behind me.  That just makes it better.

But, he went with this one.  I like my hair brownish.

Then, Emily was in the tub and told Noah to put on a fashion show for her.  So, he was going through my closet and I knew he'd make a mess, so I just helped him. And then, it was so fun, I couldn't stop.  We didn't get a pic of the evening gown, but boy was he stunning.

Up first, is take me out the ball game look.


Then, ready for bed.

And winter wonderland...

And my favorite, the beach!  You can't see in this pic, but my sarong/scarf didn't cover his tushie, so his butt crack was showing. 

He was a good sport.  

The boys brought home good report cards too. Ben got Principal's List again.  He also passed his test for the Wright Flight Program.  He'll be flying a plane in March!  Yep, we all get to drive down to Tucson where his honors class gets to take turns flying a plane, with a pilot of course.  How fun is that!  It was not an easy test and there was course direction, nautical miles and a bunch of other stuff that was hard for even me to understand.  I'm excited that he'll get this experience, and glad we get to go down and watch him.

As an example....do you know the difference between a Nautical mile and regular mile?  Yeah, me neither.  I know a regular mile is 5,280 feet.  So, what is a nautical mile.  Here's a definition and imagine your 10 and in fifth grade!  

nautical mile is based on the circumference of the planet Earth. If you were to cut the Earth in half at the equator, you could pick up one of the halves and look at the equator as a circle. You could divide that circle into 360 degrees. You could then divide a degree into 60 minutes. A minute of arc on the planet Earth is 1 nautical mile. This unit of measurement is used by all nations for air and sea travel.

I still can't explain it, but I know it's a little longer than a mile. Good enough.

It's a snowy, cold 3-day weekend, which sounds like a the perfect time to practice being a sloth!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well after speaking today to David I didn't get any of this info at all so glad you were able to catch me up on what really was going on. Ha!That Noah is a great little actor.... and Ben piloting a plane well that might be scary.. Sorry Ben I had to say it. :)
So happy to know Emily stayed on the principal's list . I know it must be hard at times but I am so proud of all their hard and dedicated efforts to be good students. I am very lucky to have such a great bunch of grand kids and children as well as in law children. :)
As always Gina, thanks for sharing.
Love,
G

Linda said...

I always enjoy your updates! :) They bring a smile to my face.

As for the nautical mile, etc., you have me lost. I suck, majorly always have, at any kind of math. Jim talks numbers and my mind wanders off thinking about birds or my latest outfit. Seriously. :P

Glad everyone is doing so well! Congrats!!

I know what you mean - I'm still pretty crazy about keeping active every day regardless of wanting to feel like a sloth, but it's HARD - especially here when we go for weeks with no sunshine and just grey, damp, cold weather for months each winter. Thankfully, in this part of Illinois, there isn't a lot of snow. The occasional snowstorm... though this winter - we haven't had that YET. (February is normally that time here). Instead, we've had a fair bit of minor ice storms. Thankfully the one that they predicted to be BIG for this weekend here - was NOT. It went further south apparently, so while it was slick off and on, it didn't stop my outdoor exercise. Thankful for this 3-day weekend here and happy that January will be over with very soon.

Love, Linda