Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Sharlot Hall and Smoki Museums

I went on a field trip yesterday with Ben's class.  It was to the Sharlot Hall Museum in Prescott which is full of Prescott history.  Then, we went to the Smoki Museum which is Native American history.  I almost wasn't able to go. Noah walked out of school Monday and said he didn't feel good.  Tuesday came, the day of the field trip, Noah has a slight fever and he was coughing all night.  Luckily, David was able to work from home, so I could still go.  I'm thankful as I would've hated leaving his teacher high and dry.  My group had 10 kids, not easy to just come up with a replacement in a moments notice.

So, we started at the Sharlot Hall museum.  She was a lady from Prescott who collected lots of items pertaining to the history around here.  This is a replica of her with a real Model T.  It still works too and they use it in parades sometimes.


The stagecoach was pretty cool.  100 years ago, they would journey from Indiana to Arizona and it would take 6 months.  They'd walk 10-20 miles a day, even the kids.  How crazy is that?  We'd never survive in Pioneer days.  They need to do a reality show on that.

Here's Ben in a chair in the Govenor's Mansion.  It looked like a old shack, but I guess compared to others in the 1800's, it was prime living.  

This punch set was amazing!

This was the school house.  The kids thought it was neat that it was so small and all the grades were together.  They also liked the fireplace in the corner and the bowl used as a water fountain.


Then, we headed off to the Smoki Museum about a mile down the street.  This had lots of Indian art and the kids got to grind corn.

They also got to do the beading like the women did for jewelry, moccasins, and other items.



It was a super cool field trip.  I didn't go when Emily went a few years ago, so I'm glad I got to go with Ben.

I left at 9:45 and Noah was tired and fell asleep.  I got home at 2:15 and he woke up a few minutes after I walked in the door.  I guess he was tired if he slept for 4 1/2 hours!

Emily took a field trip today with the 6th grade gifted kids at her school down to Phoenix.  They went to the Challenger Space Center and she got to go on a journey to Mars!  I don't have pictures of that as I wasn't there, but she said it was a blast!  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you got to go on this field trip, Gina. and Ben. It looked like it must have been interesting for the kids . It also gave me an idea that I have not mentioned to your kids and maybe not even to mine that I too attended a 1 room school house for 2 years. I was 10 years old when My mom and dad decided we needed to live a healthier life and they moved us out to the country to live on the farm in Musquodoboit. So I spend my 5th and 6th grades in a one roomed school house . When I was in 5th grade there were 3 kids in my class and one failed so when I was in 6th grade we were only 2 students in 6th grade and in fact my brother John and Barb were also attending school there in the same room as me. We had a big pot bellied stove in the middle of the school for heat and an outdoor toilet for bath room use. So much fun... Anyway maybe you could share that info with Ben in particular, so he'll know it was not only in the long ago past that life like that occurred. ☼
Love,
G.

Linda said...

Love G.'s story above, and that's great that you were able to go on this fun field trip with Ben and his class! :) I remember doing those sorts of things with Sarah and yes, the teachers always greatly appreciate it and it's fun to participate with our kids as long as they want us there, lol. By 5th grade, Sarah didn't really want me there anymore, but I still was anyway, ha.

Love, Linda