Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Taking the Bus

For the most part, David takes the kids to school on his way to work every day. About twice a month, he has an overnight for work or he needs to leave early, and I have to take them. It's never been a big deal. But, next year, everything will change. Emily will be at Junior High and her school starts over an hour before the boys will start. So, David will take her to school every morning. It's about a 15 minute drive from our house. I'll take the boys.

David couldn't take them to school Monday and Tuesday this week. So, yesterday we are leaving for school and here comes the school bus at the exact time I'm leaving for school to drop off the kids. Last year, the bus picked up earlier, but they must have adjusted something and now it's about the same exact time that we leave. Now, our school isn't close. It's about a 7 minute drive each way and the drop off line can either take a minute or 10 minutes. So, it's easily 20-30 minutes to drop them. I see the bus and think they should try it. Come next year, Emily will have to take the bus home from school and I'll probably put the boys on the bus every morning too since it literally stops a few blocks from our house.

They tried it out this morning for the first time. Other than field trips, they've never been on a bus. Actually, Noah missed his only Kindergarten field trip because he was sick, so this was his first time on a school bus.

It makes 3 more stops in our neighborhood and then it's off to school. I almost followed it to make sure they got to school okay, but I figure that's ridiculous.

For the rest of the year, David will still take them to school. But, on the few mornings I need to take them, I'll put them on the bus. It'll be good for them to get the hang of it before next year.

I can't wait to hear how it goes. My predictions...Ben will hate it because it gives him almost no recess time in the morning. Emily and Noah will like it.

2 comments:

Linda said...

That's great that it works out and my sisters and I always took the bus to school as that's how it worked where we lived. But in Rantoul, busses only run for handicapped children or children out in the country. In town - everyone has to either walk or drive their kids. Jim and I always drove Sarah even though her schools were generally within some sort of walking distance, because there are a lot of weirdos around in our town and she often would have been the only little girl walking on our street. So, we drove her through high school when she started driving herself. :)

It all seems so far away now.... school, even though I'm here working at the University so the beginning of the school year is still a really big deal here with 40,000 students moving in this week. Literally - it increases the population of our town here by 60,000+ during this time considering all of the parents are here too. I'm actually looking forward to the day when I'm done with all of this - when I can just crawl under a rock, or just stay home in bed and not have to see any returning students. It's just really run its course for me, but hopefully in a week or two I'll be all adjusted, as will all of the returning students including Sarah who starts her 2nd year of college on Monday, the 24th.

Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

I'm left wondering were your predictions correct???
It certainly sounds like the school bus might play a roll in your kids future. I was wondering could any kid just get on the bus? Don't they have to have some "authorization" of some sort to be actually riding on the school bus? How does the bus driver know who gets on and off his/her bus? One of the counties near here has started charging for the bus. $300. a year,I believe. If they are on free / reduced lunch it drops to $100. Oh well any way I'll be waiting to hear how they liked it. I liked the picture. It shows how much they have all grown since I last saw those three little Sweeties.
Hope you all have a great weekend.
Love,
G